Cannot expand old disk-doubled files

andrefrancis

... yes it's really me!
Previous to my modern OSX and large disk drives, I had a need to compress archived material because of shortage of space. I used Disk Doubler for this.

I now have a need to access one of my archived folders on CD. When I look at its contents, they are clearly 'Disk-Doubled'. However I now no longer have a copy of this software and cannot find it on the Web. I have tried Stuffit Expander but it steadfastly refuses to convert for me.

Can anyone help?

I think diskDoubler stopped working at about MacOS 8.0
Perhaps you could find an old Mac still running something older than OS 8, for the best chance. The Stuff-it info seems to say that .dd files should work... what happens if you drop the .dd file directly onto the Stuffit Expander app icon? (don't double-click the file, just drag and drop on the icon)

DeltaMac said:
I think diskDoubler stopped working at about MacOS 8.0
Perhaps you could find an old Mac still running something older than OS 8, for the best chance. The Stuff-it info seems to say that .dd files should work... what happens if you drop the .dd file directly onto the Stuffit Expander app icon? (don't double-click the file, just drag and drop on the icon)

Unfortunately, 'nothing' happens!

Has anyone else got any suggestions? Or is there someone out there who has (or knows someone who might have) a copy of Disk Doubler?

Have you tried undoubling those files on a Mac OS 9 machine rather than OS X?

Do you remember what version Disk Doubler you were using? What version was the one you downloaded?

Cheryl said:
Have you tried undoubling those files on a Mac OS 9 machine rather than OS X?

Do you remember what version Disk Doubler you were using? What version was the one you downloaded?

I am going to try this! Thanks Cheryl.

Back