Cannot install Office 2004 on OSX 10.4.9... Need Help!

ekwng

Registered
Hi,

I have just installed Office 2004 on my wife's C2D Macbook OSX 10.4.8 with no problem.

While I start to get my Office 2004 copy on C2D MBPro, which I've updated to 10.4.9 as well, problem comes...

First the Office Setup assistant won't load, double clicked - Disk spins - rainbow wheel appears - then nothing, just plain nothing happening ~~

I've looked at activity monitor the setup assistant just appeared for a few seconds and vanished...basically quit itself.

Also tried to drag 2004 into my HD, no problem on copying but when I try to run any component, Word or PP or Entourage, non of them would load!

How can I trace the problem while no error message pops up?

Please help!! Thanks very much!!!

ekwng,

Welcome to MacOSX.com!

The first thing to try is to restart your machine.

If that doesn't do it, try updating prebindings from the Terminal program in /Applications/Utilities/

Type sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

It will ask you to type in your system password.

If you haven't had any luck, download the "combo" 10.4.9 update from Apple's website and reinstall.

If you need further help, please leave another message.

Good luck!

Doug

P.S. Credit to MacFixit for reminding me about the update prebinding idea.

ekwng,

Welcome to MacOSX.com!

The first thing to try is to restart your machine.

If that doesn't do it, try updating prebindings from the Terminal program in /Applications/Utilities/

Type sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

It will ask you to type in your system password.

If you haven't had any luck, download the "combo" 10.4.9 update from Apple's website and reinstall.

If you need further help, please leave another message.

Good luck!

Doug

P.S. Credit to MacFixit for reminding me about the update prebinding idea.

Hi Doug,

I've re-installed the combo 10.4.9 but problem persists.

Tried the prebinding but when the terminal prompted for the password, just no typing response except "return-enter" which makes cursor move to next line. Although I can input password now it is of no use.

So I tried OnyX which has prebinding function, done that successfully, but office still not starting.

I launch Word while looking at the activity monitor, "Word" appears in the process, but stalled after a few seconds then vanished...

Very frustrated or is it again a Microsoft problem?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Regards
Eric

Is this the same copy of Word on both machines? Same License?
Are they connected on a network?

Is this the same copy of Word on both machines? Same License?
Are they connected on a network?

Yes that's the same CD with 3 Keys (Student and Teacher Edition). Both computers just connected to the internet through the same AP.

Perhaps I should reinstall OSX?

Nope... I ended up re-install OSX and Office is working now, except Aperture :( Will try to re-install it...

Thanks everyone!

If the machine came with the Office demo, then the demo has to be deinstalled prior to installing the licensed version.
I think there were some docs to that effect at one point...

If the machine came with the Office demo, then the demo has to be deinstalled prior to installing the licensed version.
I think there were some docs to that effect at one point...

Thanks! I have removed the test drive with the utility provided by MS, but still...

I traced back what I have done before Office fails to install on my MBP, apart from the 10.4.9 upgrade, one suspect was the utility called "Monolingual", which I have removed some languages I won't use, probably that has gone too far and removed some critical components which Office found important.

Back