Cannot sleep or turn off computer for long

jluban

Registered
Hi there. My Dual Proc. G4 with OSX 10.3.4 has been fine. Suddenly, when I go to sleep mode, it goes to sleep and immediately wakes itself up again (it won't sleep). And when I shut it down, it will boot itself back up some time later. Anyone ever experienced this before?

You don't happen to have a USB hub connected to the computer -- or perhaps some other USB device other than the keyboard/mouse?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
You don't happen to have a USB hub connected to the computer -- or perhaps some other USB device other than the keyboard/mouse?

Yes, I just hooked up a new Cable modem. Just before replying to this post, I couldn't get the machine to turn on when I pressed the "on" button either. I unhooked everything, opened and closed the case, before it would reboot. Any ideas? Do I need to get rid of my new modem?

PS: Thanx for your reply!

Hmmm... so, if it boots fine without the cable modem installed, then I assume that it's a USB connection that's making it do that -- most likely, the cable modem.

Most cable modems come with both a USB and Ethernet ports on the back, and the Ethernet port is the preferred port to use with your Macintosh. Does your cable modem have both these ports? If not, perhaps you should call your cable modem company and see if they'll exchange your modem for one with ethernet ports.

I understand why the computer might be waking itself from sleep but why would a USB device be responsible for booting a computer like that?

jluban you might want to check the Energy Saver control pane and see if you have it set to automatically Wake from Sleep/Boot at a specific time...

In the meantime I'd say go with an ethernet modem, my personal preference, granted, but it's a strong preference.

Because USB devices have access to the power management of the computer, and certain USB devices and USB hubs can cause really unexpected system behavior when they're connected. Common symptoms are the inability to boot, computer wakes from sleep automatically, and computer restarts instead of shuts down when you tell it to shut down. Sometimes, the computer will shut down for 3 0seconds or so, then start right back up. USB devices are the main cause of that.

Back