Canon MiniDV cam turns off - anyway around it?

hazmat

Rusher of Din
So my Canon ZR-10 MiniDV cam works perfectly with iChat AV, and the video quality was much better than my friend's iSight. But the camera when in record pause mode will turn itself off after about five minutes. Anyone figure out a way around that?

Thanks.

I've got a ZR-10 also (love it) and though I haven't used it significantly with iChat but I don't think mine has ever shut itself off. A couple questions, do you have a tape in the camcorder and do you have it plugged into the wall?

Thanks for the reply. The problem was that there was a tape in the drive. I think it's dumb that it will turn itself off if there's a tape in there even if it's plugged in via AC. Oh well.

Originally posted by hazmat
Thanks for the reply. The problem was that there was a tape in the drive. I think it's dumb that it will turn itself off if there's a tape in there even if it's plugged in via AC. Oh well.

Just have a separate 80 min tape for iChat use and set it to record in LP mode. Although it's a bit clumsy, it does at least make it possible to use the camera for iChat ;)

Originally posted by ksv
Just have a separate 80 min tape for iChat use and set it to record in LP mode. Although it's a bit clumsy, it does at least make it possible to use the camera for iChat ;)

No, if there is no tape in the camera (not 'drive' as I said before - too much time with my sysadmin job :) ), it will not turn itself off.

Originally posted by hazmat
No, if there is no tape in the camera (not 'drive' as I said before - too much time with my sysadmin job :) ), it will not turn itself off.

Ooh, I just got you wrong there :D
Thanks - I'll try that too!

Hi all. Not sure about the camera you have but my Canon Optura has Tape or Card mode (Card for taking stills onto the SD card). I put mine on Card mode and keep the A/C plugged in..stays on all day!

just a thought
joe

Back