Cant access web in OSX But Can in VMware

mikeumikeu

Registered
Hi

I am having a strange problem.

I have a Mac Pro, running 10.6.6, quite often I am unable to access the internet from any OSX application (Safari, Firefox, Mail, Skype), however network is running fine in my VMWare sessions.

I run Little snitch and have turned this off and same issue.

The only way to fix is to reboot.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks

Mike

Check your company firewall and your OS X DNS information (System Preferences->Network,Advanced tab).

Network settings all look ok.

I have ADSL modem that uses NAT, no firewall on modem. I use Little Snitch on OS X, but have it disabled currently.

Both OS X and Windows running on VMWare use DHCP and have valid addresses in same subnet with the DNS Server on both set to the ADSL modem that acts as DNS Proxy.

Have tried assigning static IP and manually setting DNS in OS X, no joy.

If I shut down Windows VM it does not fix the problem either.

The really strange thing is that while OS X cant access the internet, the Windows VM running in OS X session can.

I have disabled and re enabled the OS X network interface and no joy.

The only thing that fixes it is rebooting, it works fine for a while then stops working after a while, no specific event seems to cause it to stop and it does not happen at a fixed time it is quite random.

O.K. Then let's reset the Airport card. So follow these steps to reset OS X Airport:

1. Disconnect from any wireless connections.

2. Turn off the Airport card by going to System Preferences->Network pane, highlight the Airport in the left hand column, and turn off the Airport card.

3. Then in that pane delete the Airport card by the left hand of the pane.

4. After the first three steps navigate to the folder /YourHardDrive/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ And delete the files:
a) com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
b) com.apple.nat.plist
c) com.apple.network.identification.plist

5. RESTART IMMEDIATELY !!!! This will rebuild those files For the system to see the Airport card.

6. Upon the restart go to System Preferences->Network pane and then in the left hand column And click the + button to re-add your Airport card and then rejoin your wireless network.

7. Staying in system Preferences->Network pane, click the 'Advanced' button and Uncheck IPv6 box and save it.

Hopefully this will reset the 'drivers' for the Airport card. Plus try a free wireless setup to see if your Mac joins that network. This way you can see if it is hardware or software.

Good Luck.

Thanks Satcomer.

I am using the Ethernet 2 interface not the AirPort.

I only seem to have a com.apple.network.identification.plist file.

Is the procedure the same except delete the Ethernet 2 interface?

Thanks

Mike

All except the Airport plists. Just remember to Add your Ethernet card back (using the + button) after deleting it from the Network pane, then reboot. After this reboot rejoin your network. Plus are you using CAT 5, 5E or 6 ethernet cables? Plus try to reset the ethernet cable head into the Mac (unplug it and re-plug it back in).

Good Luck.

Back