sappleton

Registered
I am trying to burn cd's on mac osx 10.4.5. Until a week ago cd's burnt fine

now when i try and burn on toast I get this message: -

The drive reported an error
Sense Key=Medium Error
Sense code = 0x73, 0x73

when i try and burn on iTunes I get this message: -

The attempt to burn the disc failed. The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media

I have a Mac G5 which is only 5 months old. I also have no warranty so if its a hardware problem I don't know what to do

Try burning a data disk with the Finder or with Disk Utility. If it works fine, then you probably have a problem that's isolated to iTunes or the specific track(s) you are trying to burn.

If it's iTunes, download and install the latest version -- even if you already have the latest version.

macworks said:
Try burning a data disk with the Finder or with Disk Utility. If it works fine, then you probably have a problem that's isolated to iTunes or the specific track(s) you are trying to burn.

If it's iTunes, download and install the latest version -- even if you already have the latest version.

just tried that and got the message: -

Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occured
(error code 0x8002006D)

Sounds like a hardware problem. Make sure that Software Update reports that your computer is fully up-to-date.

Another option is to create a new user account on your computer, switch to that user account and then try to burn some files with the Finder. If it works, then it's a software-level problem that's isolated to your home folder -- try renaming your Preferences folder (located in home folder/Library/) to something like Preferences Disabled then log out and log back in. Attempt to burn files with the Finder (or disk utility) and if that works, you'll have to pair down your prefs to find out which one might be the bad file.

Yet another option is to boot from an external hard drive that has OS X installed on it and burn files from the Finder and see if the result is different.

If you get the same error with all of these tests, it's likely that your drive is bad and you'll need to get it replaced under warranty.

I've tried logging in as someone else and having the same problem

looks like its a hardware problem, but I have no warranty which could be a problem

If you are in Florida, note that it's not that difficult to replace it yourself. If you need instructions and a part, let me know and I can hook you up.

'If that doesn't fix it.. it could be cheaper to get a new burner.' - yes, I would guess so. Being that the alternative, would be having no DVD capability at all.

If indeed the DVD drive is deemed defective, and a purchase is being considered - then disassembling the existing DVD drive (etc.) would not be a loss; but, a potential (cost cutting) solution.

Again, I'll reiterate that the machine is covered by a 1 year manufacturer's warranty whether you're the original owner or not. (unless you're in hanging-chad country).

Back