Can't Eject CDs Anymore

mindbend

Registered
On my DP 867m OS 10.2.6 I can no longer eject CDs consistently. Dragging to trash, Command+E, Command+Y, via iTunes, etc. nothing works. The CD icon disappears as though it's been ejected, but it doesn't spit out.

For now I have to restart every time, which is crazy.

Any thoughts?

(Drive being used is the Pioneer 4X SuperDrive that I put in, not the stock drive)). It has always worked fine until the last week or so. Can't think of what I may have done to cause this.

I had the same problem with my system (below). It would happen any time I plugged my iPod and mounted it in firewire disk mode with a CD already mounded.

Then my CD would fail to eject, and I would have to restart.

Does this match your scenario?

Having exactly the same problem in Jaguar at the moment, after a fresh install on my Cube. Especially with DVD's.

Can't say I've noticed it in Panther yet...

Same problem with iBook running 10.2.6. One good thing, I think. I was worried something was wrong with the CD drive. Now if the bug can be fixed...

Not sure, cuz I haven't tested it fully, but I think it may have something to do with having Bias Peak open. If I never launch that app, ejecting seems to work OK (I think). Once it has been launched, everything is screwed up.

The eject key does not work for me, to answer the earlier question.

The only thing that kind of worked sometimes was to launch iTunes and eject through there, but now that doesn't work either.

VERY ANNOYING!!!

I'll be doing a complete wipe and reisntall when Panther gets here.

Ah, thanks. Nope don't have that. I thought it was something mechanical because it doesn't happen all of the time, just some CDs at some times. I connect my iPod, I rip some of albums to aac, and I watch some vcd/dvds. That's it.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106882

I've never had problems with a restart, and I always try to avoid copy-protect CDs at all cost. I've never not been able to copy a CD to my 'Pod, and it's happened on a couple of vcds, so maybe these discs have the copy-protect coding imbedded?

Mac OS: Cannot Eject Copy Protected Audio Disc, Computer Starts Up to Gray Screen

You may be unable to eject certain copy-protected audio discs, which resemble Compact Discs (CD) but technically are not. Some computers start up to a gray screen after a copy protected disc has been left in the computer.

have you tried with the disk utility?
In my case, yes. No go, it would take a restart. I'll have to go back and check the discs I remember it happening on and see if it'll happen again.

Had the same problem before going back to Jaguar.
The only solution I found was to setup the eject menu bar option.
Run a search on your hard drive for the word eject and you will find a file called eject.menu, double click it and it puts an eject icon on your menu bar.
Chuck the CD in the trash, wait a few mo's then go to the new menu and choose eject cd tray.

Note this does not work every time, maybe 4 out of 5 times, if the option says eject 'cd name here' even though the CD has gone from the desktop, eject a couple more times until it says eject tray.

Now if Microsoft could just release that damn Exchange plug-in....

Bon Chance

Chris J

Back