can't get my HP C4385 to wirelessly connect to powerbook G4

WildStars

Registered
I have an HP photosmart C4385 and a powerbook g4 with Mac OSX 10.4 installed. I recently installed a new hard drive in my computer and now have to reinstall my printer.
Here is what I have already done:
1.went to HP.com/support and downloaded the appropriate drivers. I can print while connected via USB.
2. attempted to set up wireless printing via the setup wizard, this didn't work.
3. I went to the printer set up utility and changed the settings to HP IP printing, entered the printers IP address, selected it as my default printer and then tried to print with Microsoft word. I got the error: "network host 192.168.1.11 is busy, will retry in 30 seconds" every time.

I printed out the diagnostics summary and the network configuration page (using the wireless menu on the printer itself) and it told me there were no problems. It will wirelessly print a test page when I go to the printer setup utility and click "print test page" but then when I print using Word, I get the same "network host busy" error.

I found another similar scenario here on this forum here:
http://macosx.com/tech-support/mac/not-able-to-print-via-print-server/335451.html
and it says to:
1 - Selected LPD as the Protocol
2 - entered the IP address of the Print Server (Dlink DPR-1260) as the address
3 - Entered the the "LPR Queue Name" from the Print Server Dlink DPR-1260) into the Queue field
4 - I chose the HP C4200 driver that I installed within the "print Using" field

but first I have a different printer and second, I can't figure out how to get the right dlink address. I only know how to get the IP address.

Your post is confusing because you haven't told us anything about your local network - router, modem, etc. The link you tried to follow was about using a dlink-brand print server. Do you have one of those, too?
Using a wireless printer is about making your printer a "member" of your local network, then adding the printer in print & fax (or Printer Setup).
Please tell me the IP address of your Mac.

I am trying to get my printer to connect to the wireless network that uses a router. the IP address for my computer is 192.168.1.4

OK. I asked for the IP address just to see if the printer and Mac are in the same subnet (meaning that the IP addresses both start with 192.168.1 in your case).
To eliminate the possibility that the router has lost contact with the printer, power cycle the router first (off 20 secs then back on) and then the printer.
Now in Print & Fax (Printer Setup), Add (+) the printer using the Default Browser, not IP printing.
Does that work?

I have no idea where the router is. I am living where I work and we have free internet provided. I'm going to have to ask my boss where the router for this area is. I'll let you know once I find it and try that.

Oh, that's important info.
Does your printer model come with instructions that require you to use a USB connection for initial setup so you can use HP setup software (wizard) to set the wifi encryption type and password? Maybe you should treat this like a new install and follow all the steps.

Back