Can't see my QT movies using a PC

andrefrancis

... yes it's really me!
I have used iWeb for quite some time now and recently have posted some movies to one of my sites. I have just discovered that all the PCs (including my own at work and home) I have checked my sites on, cannot open the movies.

I simply dragged the movies to one of my pages using iWeb and then updated. My Mac sees the movies fine, but no PC seems to. They complain that they haven't got a QT plug-in, but when I upload QT, it doesn't work.

This is really quite worrying. How can I get the great majority of users out there (ie using PCs) to see my movies?

Can anyone help?

TIA

..... Andre

... They complain that they haven't got a QT plug-in, but when I upload QT, it doesn't work.

What do you mean "when I upload QT"?

Go to Apple's website and then download and install QuickTime for Windows. If you install iTunes, then QuickTime will [necessarily] be installed with it.

That said, I am betting dollars to donuts that your videos require an obscure codec that is not a part of the default installation of QuickTime.

What do you mean "when I upload QT"?

... I meant 'download' ...

Go to Apple's website and then download and install QuickTime for Windows. If you install iTunes, then QuickTime will [necessarily] be installed with it.

... I have done this ... but why do I have to download iTunes?. I downloaded Quicktime (for Windows) and it still complains.

That said, I am betting dollars to donuts that your videos require an obscure codec that is not a part of the default installation of QuickTime.

Well ... I created the movie in Quicktime (on my Mac) and saved it as a .mov
It makes no sense for QT to use an obscure codec on my Mac that wouldn't be recognised by QT on Windows?

Last edited:
OK ... I have solved it!

From Quicktime, export to iPod format ... and then everything works fine.

I have tested this on various machines and browsers and all seems OK.

Back