Can't use sudo

Loe

Registered
Hello,To all

Wow glad my friend point this site out to me
first new to mac need help hehe.

using iBook G4 Mac OS X 10.4.7

i just found out that you should not run as full Admins
so i added one more user and was trying this here.

0) Your account is "Joe".
1) Create a new Account. let's call him "Admin".
2) Give "Admin" admin privileges.
3) Log out of Joe, log in to Admin
4) Remove Joe's admin privs
5) Log out of Admin, log in as Joe
6) Use Joe.

Make a folder in Joe's home directory called "Applications" and install stuff in there. If ever asked for an admin password, think twice about what you're doing, erase "Joe" from the "Account:" field and fill in "Admin" and the Admin password.

Now it seem to have worked at first but for one thing
when i try to use sudo i keep gething an Error.

something along the line of Loe is not on the sudo list
sorry i cant think what the error is now. but will do it all over for you if need be.

oh yes i did try using sudo passwd and su root and same thing

well i just did it over again here is the error

loe is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

any help at all please

Loe

i just found out that you should not run as full Admins
so i added one more user and was trying this here.

0) Your account is "Joe".
1) Create a new Account. let's call him "Admin".
2) Give "Admin" admin privileges.
3) Log out of Joe, log in to Admin
4) Remove Joe's admin privs
5) Log out of Admin, log in as Joe
6) Use Joe.

Make a folder in Joe's home directory called "Applications" and install stuff in there. If ever asked for an admin password, think twice about what you're doing, erase "Joe" from the "Account:" field and fill in "Admin" and the Admin password.

loe is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

If your account is named Joe, then why would you use 'loe' as the account name for authentication? You should be using Joe instead of loe.

You have received poor advice about using a standard user, instead of an admin user. And, then bad instructions for setting up that account.
I will recommend that you should not use the word "admin" as an account name, as it is a reserved name for use by the system, and you will experience problems with permissions and other account maintenance.
I think that with the type of installs that you are doing, you should continue with an admin account, as you were doing before. Don't listen to every opinion that you hear, and act on that opinion as fact... Even to me - but you are now having problems, and you should step back (return to your previous setup) - and see if your system returns to normal.

I'd like to give some advice if I may do so. My system has 2 user accounts installed on it. Admin and a standard user. The trick here is that when you install an app from the standard account, you must input the admin username and password. As far as using sudo is concerned, you must do this from "Admin". Quick trick would be to enable fast user switching from system prefs. When you need to use sudo, just select the account from the menu bar and login, open terminal and do what you need to. Regardless of how complicated this may seem for some, I never use the admin account unless I have to. This is a quick way for me to change system settings in term. or other admin tasks. You may choose your option.
BTW: It's not that the system is behaving "strangely" in yours or my setup. It is because "Standard Users" DO NOT have access to the sudo command. If you prefer to keep your account with admin priveledges, so be it. This was just another idea to help.

Hey,Two both of you

@DeltaMac

Thanks the info above is not mine it's what i used.
i posted it just for info.

Thank you

@davebz

Oh yes thank you that's just what happen but had no idea
about fast user switching, i will give this a try i don't like the
idea of running Admins on the net.

Thank you

hmm, i'm also stuck in a situation where i can't sudo anymore.
i posted that HERE.
it would be very nice if any of you have the ultimate solution...

thanks

Back