CD audio problems in 10.3.4

Morgan19

Registered
I've noticed some weird behavior when I play CDs in 10.3.4. The CD audio will often skip around several times in a row, sometimes freezing completely for a second or two, and other times I'll get a brief "BZZZZT!" noise from the speakers, like an electric buzzsaw. Then the CD goes back to playing normally for a minute or two and it does it all over again. This happens both with iTunes and several other CD apps (I'm trying Macmp3CD now) and *when* I play the CD doesn't seem to make a difference; as in, I can play when I frst start up or when I've been working for a while and still get the noises, skips, and pauses.

Playing CDs works fine if I boot back into 9.2.2, so I'm curious as to why OSX is giving me this problem? My system is a 1.3 Ghz processor (Giga Designs upgrade), 1.5 GBs of RAM, and a Radeon 9000 Mac Ed. so "power" wouldn't seem to be an issue.

m19

Hmm... are they newer, retail CDs? Sounds like some form of copy protection. How do those CDs play in a regular audio CD player?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Hmm... are they newer, retail CDs? Sounds like some form of copy protection. How do those CDs play in a regular audio CD player?

I've tried with a new CD, several older CDs, and a CD-R I burned, all with the same stuttery results.

m19

This problem may have the same cause (and cure) as your stuttering Classic. Sounds like a possible hardware problem. Have you over-clocked your new processor? (may be unstable) Try returning to your original processor and see if some of your problems improve. Are you still using the original hard drive?

Did you ever try a data CD and copy all files to the disc? Just to test the hardware? Does itunes playback mp3 files properly and so your sound card? What if you setup a new user account? Still the same problem?

What does your Apple Hardware Test CD have to say about the condition of your optical drive?

I'm not familiar with that CD; would it come packaged with OSX? (I'll check around for it if so.)

This problem may have the same cause (and cure) as your stuttering Classic. Sounds like a possible hardware problem. Have you over-clocked your new processor? (may be unstable) Try returning to your original processor and see if some of your problems improve. Are you still using the original hard drive?

Hello again. :) The processor isn't overclocked, no; it's rated at 1.3 Ghz and is running as such. If I get a chance later today I'll swap processors and test Classic/CDs again.

The harddrive is a new Maxtor I installed three or four months ago

Zammy-Sam said:
Did you ever try a data CD and copy all files to the disc? Just to test the hardware? Does itunes playback mp3 files properly and so your sound card? What if you setup a new user account? Still the same problem?

My SuperDrive has only ever been able to burn DVD-RAMs; those work fine but I've never been able to burn CD-Rs with it.

iTunes plays mp3s perfectly; .wav files also play normally.

I tried making a new account but the problem exists when I log in to that account as well.

----------------------------------------

I have some time next week and was contemplating wiping the drive and doing a clean install of 9.2.2 and Panther. I had the 9.x install on this machine for a year or two before upgrading to OSX a couple months ago, so I figure maybe it's time for a new start anyway. If the problem *is* hardware, though, I'd like to avoid doing all that.

Something else just came to mind, too, in case it's related. I've been having trouble with Expose. I have it keyed to shrink all windows down a square when I press Command + F1. It seems like if I try and do that after I've been working for a while, it'll minimize and then everything freezes dead in its tracks. I can still move the mouse around but no keys, menus, etc. will work. Who knows, it might happen right after I boot up too but it seems to me like it does it only after it's been running a bit. Makes using OSX a little tricky, considerin Expose is one of its selling points. ;)

m19

Back