CD-ROM boot problem

DGM1960

Registered
I have a 1GzH G4 QS running 10.2.6. I recently tried to boot using Diskwarrior 3 by holding down C on the reboot. This was the first time I tried this on this machine and I was suprised when it didn't boot to the Diskwarrior disc. Then, no matter what I did, including zapping the PRAM and resetting Open Firmware, it contunues to bypass the CD and boots into OS X. I then tried booting into my Jaguar CD figuring there was a problem with Diskwarrior. Still no luck. I have even switched the startup disc in preferences, but no matter what I do, I can't boot to a CD-ROM. The CD does show up in preferences startup disc, but does not show up when I tried rebooting while holding down the option key. Does anyone have any idea what this problem is, and how I can fix it? The optical drive is the combo drive that came with the G4.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Go to the System Preferences>Startup Disk.
There is a small padlock at the bottom left. It is probably locked and that is why it will not boot with the CD.
Click on that lock. Enter your administrator name and password. Now it is unlocked. You can change the startup disk. Close the window, restart the computer.

Thank you Cheryl. I did as you suggested, but the startup disc wasn't locked in preferences. I locked and unlocked it anyway just to make sure, but it still isn't working. It's very strange because the CD-ROM drive functions perfectly once the system is running, but it doesn't seem to work as a boot device. I just can't get it to boot from a CD, and the CD doesn'r even register in the boot disc chooser when I boot holding down the option key. Thanks again for your quick reply and help.

Are you logged in as Administrator?

Another idea. It could be your permissions are wacky. Go to the Utility folder and run Disk Utility.Repair Permissions. Click on verify, then when that is done, click on repair.

See if that corrects things.

Cheryl, I am logged in as Admin, and I verified andrepaired permissions, but it still won't boot to to the OS X CD. I'm starting to think that my CD-rom drive isn't recogized by the system until after it boots into OS X. I'm going to bring it to an Apple repair shop, because it seems to be a configuration or a hardware problem. I'll post here again once the problem is diagnosed and (hopefully) fixed.

Thanks again for your responses and help.

Is it a real version of DW 3 or is it a copy? Copies of bootable discs can often not be recognised depending on how they were imaged / burned.

He just said he can't even boot from his OS X install CD. Which came with the G4. Which means it is a real version.

Oh yeah :D sorry, being a little dense today...

Just a note for keyboard booting (which I know does not apply here) - if the keyboard is plugged in via a USB hub boot keys don't normally work at all.

As for the non-booting CD drive, could it be and IDE problem? You may also want to check if there is a firmware update for your machine...

Thanks guys. I'm going to try to create a clone of my install disc and put it in my FW external drive. Hopefully I can boot up from that. If that works, then I'll clone my hard drive, do thesame thing, and run DW. I'm starting to think that I may have a lemon G$ here, but we'll see. Thanks again.

Did anyone ever solve this, because I have THE EXACT same problem with a very similar system. I do not have an external HD. Any suggestions?

Back