cd rw

If you want to simply remove the song from the Library but keep the actual file on your hard drive, just highlight the song and hit the delete key.

If you want to remove the song from the Library and get rid of the actual file on your hard drive permanently, hold down Command and hit Delete.

hi caca,another little problem......i am burning music like crazy lol.......but i am
not organized with thr play list, is there a way to actually put it on the source?
i mean when i make a new play list it does not show so i just have to try
and remember what one i left off at......i hope i am making myself clear?
cleo

Hmmm... I don't quite understand what you're trying to do. You make a new playlist, and then drag-and-drop music into the playlist... then, you burn the playlist to CD.

When you say "where I left off at," what exactly do you mean?

i guess i mean i am not organized with my play list........and now i have having a hard time figuring what songs are on what list......hope this helps you caca
thanks cleo

lbj said:
Just to bring it all home, Cleo, the Mac considers any CD-RW, with data already on it, to be unavailable for additional recording.

Before re-using a CD-RW, utilize Disc Utility to "erase" it. Then you will be able to re-record to it.

Sadly, I find this one of the most unintuitive aspects of OSX. There should be an easier way to either erase CD-RW's than Disc Utility (contextual menu item and/or File menu option in the Finder comes to mind). As for music CD-RW's, iTunes should have an option to erease CD-RW's within iTunes (i.e. the Burn Disc option should, when clicked, bring up the option to erase an inserted CD-RW [whether it has music on it or not] before burning a new playlist onto it.)

Idealy, these options, along with a means to add data to a partially full CD-RW should be implemented. This will also need to be true for DVD-RW's and blue ray discs (when they come down the pipeline).

ElDiabloConCaca said:
As for the CDs not playing in your car -- some CD players are picky about what CDs they want to play. CDs that you burn at home and music CDs that you purchase in a store are very different -- CDs that you burn at home are actually "burned" -- a laser actually changes the chemical composition of the material on the CD, so certain areas are lighter than others in accordance with the binary data you're writing to the CD. CDs that are purchased in the store are different -- the material actually has "pits and valleys," much like a vinyl record. Either way, the end result is that the CD player laser reads differences in color/height and plays that back. Some CD players are more sensitive to the pits and valleys and "choke" when they encounter homemade CDs, which don't have the pits and valleys.

Another thing is to make sure that you've set iTunes preferences to make "Audio CDs," and not "MP3" or "data" CDs. If you are positive you're making "Audio CDs" with iTunes, it may just be that your car CD player is too sensitive to homemade CDs. It may also help to try a different brand of CD-R disk, as some are cheaper than others and don't yield as high-quality a burn as others. I would recommend Verbatim brand CD-Rs, as they seem to perform the best and have a long shelf life.

To add my 2 cents. Some CD players (esp. car CD players) won't play cd's burned at higher burn speeds well. The general idea is that the slower you burn a CD the more definite the individual marks are and the easier it will be for a picky CD player to read them. Kind of like asking someone to either read a quickly scribbled note or a carefully written one, which would you read more easily and accurately? :D

Ah, well, this sounds like a good time for a "smart" playlist... hold down the option key, and you'll see that the "add playlist" plus-sign button in the lower-left of the iTunes window changes into a gear wheel type thing.

Click this button, and you can make an automatically-updating playlist that has certain "rules" that tell what songs get put in that playlist. For example, you can create a smart playlist, and under "Match the following condition" you can change to "Playlist," "is not," and then the playlist... that way, your new "smart" playlist will only have songs that are not in a certain playlist already. If you wish to add multiple playlists, just click the "+" next to the rule, and another will be added that you can change to a different playlist.

So, for example, if you had two playlists called "Music for the road" and "Music for home" but wanted a playlist for jogging that didn't include road or home music, you would create a new smart playlist and set two rules:

1) "Playlist" "is not" "Music for the road"
2) "Playlist" "is not" "Music for home"

...and voila, a new playlist with music not in either of the two playlists mentioned.

This can get tedious with a large number of playlists, but it's the best I can think of.

I hope that helps!

hi caca.ok another little problem... for some reason i have doubles of some of the
songs i have put in the library? and on my ipod.why and is there a way to delete
them from my ipod??...........thanks cleo

Well, if you want songs in your iTunes library but not on your iPod, you have one of two choices... a) turn on "Manual sync'ing" in iTunes preferences for your iPod, or b) "Uncheck" the songs you don't want on the iPod and set the option to sync only checked songs in iTunes preferences. There isn't a way to remove single songs from your iPod.

I don't know why doubles would be showing up -- do the doubles show the same song name, artist and playtime? Do they appear to be exact duplicates, or is it possible you have more than one copy of a certain song?

it seems when i buy a song and it and it updates my ipod i strted geting doubles
on my ipod and libary. now i can delete from my libary, but having doubles on my ipod will not only be a pain but thats less songs i can put on my ipod.......and
i cant seem to be able to find where in itunes preference manal sync'ing?
thanks again.............................cleo

Hi Caca,

You seem to be the one in the know, that's great. Have been following your dialogue with Cleo but my situation may be somewhat more rudimentary but along the same lines. Whenever I select songs from iTunes (and I do check the little box) and then burn them on a disc CD-R (HP) they do not play on vehicle CD player or home CD player. To start with I do select audio disc from the preferences. When trying to play on the vehicle player it says this is a ROM disc and ejects. When I try to play on our home system (Sony) it only shows one selection and nothing happens, nada. I await your comments. Thanks in advance.

That's strange... usually that happens when you do NOT have "Audio CD" selected in the Burning pane of iTunes' preferences.

Can you burn other CDs or DVDs normally? Can you burn regular data CDs, and read them ok in your CD-ROM drive? If you put one of your burned iTunes music CDs in the computer's drive and browse the contents of the CD with the Finder, what do you see?

Back