Cheapest Graphics Card

Paul C

Registered
I've got a G4 400 Powermac with a 16mb graphics card and need to upgrade them both, I know I'll have to get a Sonnet upgrade processor but I was wondering whats the cheapest 32mb or 64mb graphics card I can get or do I have to get an expensive ATi one?

Please help as I'm on a tight budget, I've just bought a house and basically I'm broke as a joke :(

Is that an AGP slot machine or a PCI slot?

For a AGP mac it would be an ATI 9000 card (64mb) for 169.00 (at macmall.)

For a PCI mac it would be an ATI 7000 card (32mb) for 119.00 (at macmall.)

You might be able to find better prices by shopping around.

Good luck.

Spot on, thanks guys, I've found some 32mb ATi ones on ebay for around $50, I'll keep my eye out.

Thanks again.

Be careful if you get an eBay card. Make certain the card is sold for use on a Mac. A PC-only card probably can't be modded for use on a Mac, as the ROMs are different. Unfortunately, that leaves the Mac versions of the same card generally more expensive.

What exactly do you want to do with this machine after the upgrade? General use, graphics, games, etc.

There's alot of Radeon 7000s or 7500s on E-Bay that are PC cards which have had their ROM flashed. I'd personally stay away from those. If it's a PCI and a 7500, it's a flashed one for sure. Best way to figure out the indicators is to check ATI's site for the specs on the Mac Edition cards they've released. If the one you're looking at has more or less than what they (ATI) says, most likely a flashed PC card.

Example is this on, which actually admits to it in the auction. There was never a 7000 AGP model for the mac. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....&category=25449&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT&rd=1).

This one is flashed also, a 64mb AGP 7000 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....&category=25449&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT&rd=1). That and the hint about it having a red board, which means most likely it's a Saphire produced version.

Cool thanks, I'm looking to play UT2003/Halo and also use Final Cut Pro to learn some higher end video editting, to be honest I think I'm going to try and get an ATi 9000 Pro, fingers crossed.

Some of those cards you looked at on E-Bay are flashed cards, meaning they were PC graphics cards that someone 'flashed' with a mac rom. I personally would stay away from those cards.

Here's some honest advice. You don't want to be playing Halo or UT2003 (or UT2004) on anything less than a 1 Ghz machine.

I've just bought a ATi Radeon 9000 Pro to enhance Unreal Tournament & Wolfenstein: Return to Castle Wolfenstein but I'm hopefully getting a 1ghz or 1.2ghz upgrade in the next month or so.

Thanks for the help guys!

naodx said:
Some of those cards you looked at on E-Bay are flashed cards, meaning they were PC graphics cards that someone 'flashed' with a mac rom. I personally would stay away from those cards.
I bought a modified PC ATI Radeon 7000 for my B&W Power Mac G3 400 at work and it worked great; no drivers to install (they were already installed with the OS). Worked in both OS 9 and OS X.

Kool, can't wait for it to ariive but that will be about 2 weeks cos it's coming from the good ol' US of A :)

I'm one of those sellers of flashed cards on Ebay - they work great. People who shy away from them do so because of ignorance - They're tested in a MAC and work every bit as good as a MAC branded card for a lot less

Paul C said:
Why do people say to avoid them?

Because of ignorance. People who own them will tell you - They work great! Here's a few I sell:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...id=pandabare_jax&sort=3&rows=25&since=-1&rd=1

Check the feedbacks - they all work sweet! The PRIVATE auction feedbacks are for the 8500 cards - I'm out of them right now but more coming in this week:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=25449&sspagename=STRK:MESSO:IT&rd=1

I have an 8500 and am using the 64-meg 7000 right now (Red Powercolor Card) - dual monitors with QE enabled on both - I swear it's every bit as fast as the 8500 but then I don't play games...

I also offer ALL customers a complete money back guarantee if not satisfied.

it's not ignorance, italiano. Some ppl like to have warrenty on their products when they pay so much money. Do you provide any? ;)

I'd be glad to... I've been into computers since the early 80's and have never had a video card "go bad" on me... fan's die but other than that - there's not much to go wrong... Fans are easily replaced. If you want to pay 2-3 times more to get a warranty - then by all means buy new. Out of the 100+ cards I've sold in the past few years only 1 customer has ever emailed with a fan problem - I'm sending her out one... I really do stand behind what I sell - MUCH MORE SO than most "distributors" of overpriced Mac Hardware...

Back