Check ambient temp from the Internet

barry505

Registered
Does anyone know how to access the ambient temp sensor using the apache web server and make it display on a web page? I would like to be able to check the temperature of my house while I'm on vacation. I'm running an Intel iMac. I've done a lot of searches on this and haven't found anything.

Thanks

All of the temp sensors in an iMac register internal temps of various components. There is no sensor, AFAIK, that measures the temperature outside the case. All sensors show temperature increases as the system warms up, and would not show the ambient room temperature.
An external sensor, plugged into a USB port, and monitored through some software for that purpose would have that room temperature accessible, but the internal temps would all be skewed to some degree :) by the heat generated by the computer itself.

All of the temp sensors in an iMac register internal temps of various components. There is no sensor, AFAIK, that measures the temperature outside the case. All sensors show temperature increases as the system warms up, and would not show the ambient room temperature.
An external sensor, plugged into a USB port, and monitored through some software for that purpose would have that room temperature accessible, but the internal temps would all be skewed to some degree :) by the heat generated by the computer itself.

I thought there might be an ambient sensor, because programs like istat nano show an ambient temperature reading, and it's usually pretty close to room temp.

You could replace the word "ambient" with "average air temperature inside the computer housing."

Since most of the case is open air, the ambient temperature is basically the average air temperature inside of the computer case itself... while this may "sync" with the air temperature outside the case to some degree, for the most part, if the computer is being used at all (versus sitting idle) the ambient temperature will not be an accurate measure of the air temperature outside the case.

Back