Cinema Display and TiBook?

rfm

Registered
Does anyone know whether it is possible to use a Cinema Display in 1600 x 1024 resolution in combination with a TiBook?

I want to use my TiBook in combination with the CinemaDisplay. But when I switch to video mirroring my Cinema Display only shows 1280 x 1024. In other words I have a huge black border.

I don't care for dual display mode, I just want to work on one monitor in 1600 x 1024 mode but I can't figure out whether that is possible.

rfm

When you work on mirroring, your resolutions get synchronized. This means, that it will adjust for both to the max res of the screen with-the-lower-nativ-res (got it? ;)).
I think, if you plug an usb-keyboard and have the cinema screen plugged, you can close your laptop and still use it. This might be what you are looking for, since the res will adjust to max of the cinema-screen. I never tried, but I think this should work.
Anyway, if that fails, why don't you use dual-screen and turn off your laptop screen? You have additional space that you don't have to use...

Dear rfm,

Just want to point, that you should of mention what model of PowerBook you have, as this might help.

It sounds to me that you don't have enough VRAM to drive both the internal display and the Cinema display. So what you need to do is a method called "closed lid". This is where you shut down the internal display and just work on the external display. It's very easy to do.

1. Shut down the PowerBook.
2. Hook up the A/C supply, external keyboard and mouse and the Cinema Display.
3. Press the Power button on your PowerBook. After you hear the startup chime, closed the lid of the PowerBook.
4. This method will certify that the External Display will kick in and shut down the internal display.
5. You can then set the preferences for the external monitor and enjoy.

Hope it helps.

Fantastic! It works - thanks for the quick replies. I almost started swearing at Apple for such an enormous ommission but luckily...

The only other (more minor) issue that I'd like to connect or disconnect a monitor or any other (USB, FireWire) peripheral whilst the TiBook is in sleep mode, then wake it up and continue to work. From what I understand and from experience you can't do that (it wakes up, very messy, I even had a kernel panic at one stage). That's a pity because I take my laptop from work to home (and vice versa) and Apple's sleep mode is just fantastic.

Anyway, thanks again.

The buses to USB and Firewire get shut off when you put the computer to sleep. I recommend you switch the order: wake the computer up, then when it's stopped rubbing its eyes and it's had its coffee, plug the USB or Firewire devices in. This shouldn't take much longer than usual, and it will save you time and Exedrin in the long run.

Back