Classic exceptionally stuttery!

Morgan19

Registered
I'm running OS 10.3.4 and am having a major issue with Classic mode which I need to run my version of FileMaker, among other things.

First off, when Classic and a Classic app are running it noticeably slows down the rest of the system, even OSX-native apps. For example, with Classic, FileMaker in Classic mode, and IE5.2 running, IE jerks as it scrolls, menus take a split second longer to open, etc. If I shut Classic down everything returns to normal.

Second, textual apps like FileMaker and Word (also running in Classic) look like they're stuttering every few seconds... I can because for example, in Word the cursor will be blinking and then pause, blink a few more times and pause, each time pausing for half a second or so before returning to normal. This happens consistently. What's really aggravating about this is that if I'm typing in one of those programs, every few letters or so will exploded, so if I was typing "computer" at the time it might end up looking like "compuuuuuuuuter" even though I only pressed the key once. It's making working with X and my Classic programs damned near impossible.

I'm looking into upgrading these apps to Panther-native versions but for the time being, I'd really like to get this solved. I've tested another Mac in the office that is also running 10.3.4 and it has no problems whatsoever in either FileMaker of Word, so I know it has to be something with mine. I don't think hardware is an issue: I'm running a 1.3 Ghz processor (GigaDesigns), 9000 Radeon Mac ed., and 1.5 gigs of RAM... They should all be able to handle this with no problem, yet I'm getting this stupid jitters. I've tried doing all the regular maintenance like disk repair, permissions repair, etc. to no avail.

Any suggestions?

m19

You may find some improvement by adjusting the memory allocation for any classic app that you use. OS X is exceptional at memory management, but your older apps still rely on what Classic has. Important - Close any open Classic apps. Open Get Info for each of your old apps, click on memory select triangle. Then change the memory settings. Preferred size can easily be tripled, and I usually add about 1,000 to minimum size. Preferred size can be adjusted up if there's little improvement, especially with the amount of total memory that you have installed (just don't get crazy and try to use all your available memory for one app, don't forget that your system needs some, too!)

The above memory settings may not help you, but try them first. There are threads here and at other sites that have recommendations for improving Classic performance, just do a search.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if Classic maintains the memory settings of a 9.x installation after an upgrade to X? I had 9.2.2 first, with memory allocations set how I wanted them (and had been using them for a while), and then upgraded to X (and now 10.3.4). If Panther does indeed keep those settings, I'm afraid memory allocations are already where they should be. :\

(EDIT-) Regardless of whether Panther pulls the memory settings, I set them as you suggested. No change... Still jerky, skips letters, pauses every few seconds... Aaargh.

m19

No need to 'Arggh!' yet...
try a Search here to find useful ideas to speed up (or optimize) Classic. For example, the extensions can be cleaned out leaving only extensions that are required by Classic. I used to have a list, but have misplaced it.
also, a util that cleans out old caches, such as Panther Cache Cleaner might give your Classic a big boost.
Also, in your Classic pref pane, the advanced tab gives you several choices. You can try rebuilding the Desktop, and you can reconfigure your startup extensions there, too.

DeltaMac said:
No need to 'Arggh!' yet...
try a Search here to find useful ideas to speed up (or optimize) Classic. For example, the extensions can be cleaned out leaving only extensions that are required by Classic. I used to have a list, but have misplaced it.
also, a util that cleans out old caches, such as Panther Cache Cleaner might give your Classic a big boost.
Also, in your Classic pref pane, the advanced tab gives you several choices. You can try rebuilding the Desktop, and you can reconfigure your startup extensions there, too.

Did a rebuild, cleaned out the cache(s), tried starting Classic with no extensions (in which case nothing would work ^_^) and then the base 9.2.2s, all with no noticeable effect. I'm still getting the stuttering in several apps. Any more ideas? :\

m19

I'm starting to wonder if it's something specifically with FileMaker 5 running in Classic. I've gotten Outlook to an acceptable level of usability but FM still stutters every other second, making it impossible to work with.

Hmm....

m19

Had another thought... Do you think the fact that I upgraded to Panther on top of an existing 9.x installation rather than a clean install has anything to do with it? If my 9.x had anything wrong with it, that'd be affecting performance.

m19

Back