Classic won't startup!:'0(

Dudeguy

Registered
hey everyone, for some reason my classic startup just won't work.:(
It says that I don't have mac os 9 installed on my computer. And I need classic for many things, like most of my games, realplayer (i need this the most!), and some other things. I hate it how os x is set up so you can't run os 9 applications properly. I'd say that it should just open up without a problem. I hope the 10.2 will fix a lot of these things. But i like how my computer never screws up.
I hope someone knows the answer to my classic startup problem!
I have a picture of what happens here.

You ARE running Mac OS 9.1 or later, right? You cannot use Classic with Mac OS 9.0.x.

If you are, you may have to rebless the OS 9 system folder. To do this, open up your OS 9 system folder, and drag the files named "System" and "Finder" out of there to some other folder. Then open up the Classic system preference pane in OS X, and when it's finished searching the hard drive (and it should NOT find your Classic folder), quit System Preferences. Put the files "System" and "Finder" back in your OS 9 system folder.

Now go back to the Classic system preference pane, and select your Classic system folder.

Let me (us) know if that works.

That didn't work for some reason :'(
I am using Mac OS X 10.1.5 and Mac OS 9.2.1
There aren't anymore new versions
what should i do?

I have another suggestion for you (re-translated from my German Mac OS X, though):

Go to System Preferences --> Classic --> Options (?) --> Repair desktop file (?).

That might help.

Try booting up in OS9. Then if it works, your OS9 System folder is OK. This did the trick for me once - OSX somehow recognizes the OS9 system. Good luck.

ok, i tried reblessing the os 9 system folder, i can start up in os 9, but it takes too damn long. I tried phoning apple, this guy told me that i have to get os x 10.1.
Well it's been 4 months since i got 10.1 (for free!!!!!!!), and my classic is still Fuct up.
:'0( i miss my unreal tournament add ons, star wars racer, all my other games.
Unreal tournament is made for os x, but not these kool 150 megabyte add ons.
I need my classic!!!!!!
And realplayer hasn't released a new version for over a year! I need that too.
Well, if any of u guys figure something out, please post it!!!
thanx,
androo.

Had this happen once, I searched the HD for other system folders. Found an oddball one had been installed by some old diagnostics program. Wouldn't actually boot the Mac, but OSX saw it and tried to make a Classic system, got that same message. Worth a try. Search for Finder and System in the same folder. You should have just two sets, one in your System Folder, and on in your System/Library/CoreServices (folder for OSX) . You should be able to safely delete any others. something is wrong with your System 9, I suspect unneeded System Folder floating around somewhere. If not, reinstall OS 9 without reformatting. Boot back into OSX, then try Classic. OH, a good disk repair utility might do the trick before reinstalling OS9. You will need one that you can boot your system with.

None of that worked!
I have 3 finders, 2 in that core services folder, 1 in the system folder.
2 systems, 1 for os x, 1 for os 9.
I'm practically used to my classic screwing up! But it would be sooo kool if it worked, then I wouldn't have to wait for the system to start up.
Well, thanx anyways,
Andrew.

Dudeguy, the question is whether Classic has ever worked on your system before? Has it suddenly stopped working? Nomatter what, if you are deparate enough you could do this. Backup all your files. Don't bother about the programs because you can reinstall. Boot up from the MacOS9.1 CD. Reformat your HD. Partition it in 2. Leave about 2 GB for the Classic partition. Install 9.1. Upgrade to 9.2. Then install OS10.1.2 on the other partition. This should solve the problem.
I personally use 2 different internal HDs instead of partitioning.

hey, yeah thanx, i was eventually gonna do that, but I wanted to see if there was an easier way. Guess I have a lot of cds to burn!
Thanx,
Andrew.

For emergencies like this one should have another drive, like an external firewire, instead of a CD burner. Good luck!
:-D

Originally posted by Androo52
hey, yeah thanx, i was eventually gonna do that, but I wanted to see if there was an easier way. Guess I have a lot of cds to burn!
Thanx,
Andrew.

An iPod would come in very handy here..

an iPod is coming very soon
I'll wait until August 8 to reformat (that's when i'm getting my iPod, i'm only 13 remember?).

Back