Clean install from 10.2 Upgrade CD?

celeborn

Usability & WordPress fan
My parents ordered an eMac which came pre-installed with 10.1. There was a Jaguar upgrade CD in the box (2 CD:s + Developer Tools). The Upgrade Installer won't let me do a clean install, ie. if I reformat the drive during installation with Disc Utility, it won't let me install.
The Upgrade CD 1 is well over 600 MB in size, so is it safe to assume that this is the same situation as with the 10.1 upgrade CD. If I make a copy of the disc and remove the 'CheckForOSX'-file, will it work? I'd very much like to make a clean install, as I have heard this could be beneficial.

dear celeborn,

During the installation of 10.2, there is an option button that you press that give you the option to "Upgrade" or "Clean Install", this should solve you problems.

It is there, trust me. ;) If memory serves, it's on the screen where you choose which disk to install on.

Originally posted by cockneygeezer
During the installation of 10.2, there is an option button that you press that give you the option to "Upgrade" or "Clean Install", this should solve you problems.

It is there, trust me. ;) If memory serves, it's on the screen where you choose which disk to install on.

I know it should be there, but it isn't. The screen where you choose the install disk doesn't show any options at all! Neither does any of the subsequent screens - only "Customize..." in the Installation Type screen. This only allows you to choose which packages to install. :(

As a matter of fact, with the Upgrade CD, the options button (which should appear on the disk select screen) is NOT there. The upgrade CD only allows an upgrade, so there is no button to select anything else. However, your first thought was correct, the same thing that works on the 10.1 upgrade CD works for the 10.2 upgrade CD.

Back