Compiling for dummies

bubbajim

Mac-Junkie
Does anyone have any recommendations on any books out there for a newbie that would like to get his feet wet into the world of compiling?

I have seen some programs out there that I would like to get my hand on and use in OS X, but when I try to make the file I get this error:

make: *** [default] Error 1

I am trying to compile nakentone (a ringtone composer) and would like to have a better understanding of how the process works so that I may be able to compile this program and possibly many others.

I don't have a college degree so if there is a novice level OS X book around I would like to have it.

Thanks for any input.

Well, if the file has a README or INSTALL file that could help you alot...but anyways....Do you have a configure script in the directory where you are trying to compile the program...And....coudl you give me a link and I can try to help you compile it if you give it too me...It shuoldn't be too hard, but if you need any help I'm on AIM and ICQ sometimes so just drop a line if you need any help...

Justin

Here is a link to the download page. I downloaded the latest version 1.02 and his readme does have a few lines on how to install on unix, but I was almost certain that I saw a website with this program as a java app with an aqua interface. So I would think that there would not be a problem compiling in OS X. I figured out part of my problem was cc was not linked to gcc and found a faq that helped create the symbolic links for that. But in the end I still get errors. But I'll wait to see what you come up with before I try anything else. Thanks for the help.

http://nakentone.naken.cc/download.php

It is really easy to compile this, all you have to do is edit the Makefile and delete all the -s's. If you need it I can send you the fixed Makefile.

Justin

Although jcpowers21 is more than generous with his advice and time, how did you learn to compile source code? I feel too guilty to ask you how to do this all the time, yet I also cannot find any book or website that deals with this in a clear and/or complete way. I am beginning to grasp the concept of linked libraries, the make file, gcc, but it is still too fuzzy.

Teach me to teach myself oh master compiler! :)

I installed it really easily, all I had to do was type in make, what you did wrong was you don't have GTK+ installed.

Justin

Back