Computer keeps freezing

Jordan the Nerd

Registered
Hello.

I recently got a Powermac G4 MDD 2003 that I plan to use as my main computer. I have been experiencing issues, where the computer freezes and I have no choice but to hold down the power button, in order to shut down. Also, and music or sounds that are playing at the time repeat the last 0.5 seconds or so of playback.

It runs Mac OSX Tiger, and I reinstalled the system yesterday, but not much seems to have changed. I have had many thoughts as to what causes this issue, like my other computer being connected through the network, my external hard drive, Adobe flash player, and the core system files being corrupt. But none of these have proven to be the issue.

I have done a number of system maintenence routines, such as clearing the PRAM, 'fsck -y' from Apple + S on boot (I don't know what its called), and endlessly repairing the disk in disk utility.

I need help finding the cause of this issue, and a fix. I hope this is not a hardware issue, as I would not be able to fund a repair.

Thanks,
Jordan

PS: While writing this message, I got a kernel panic error

one thing you can do is do a apple hardware test. To check if there is any faulty hardware component that may causing this problem.
2nd you can run activity monitor to verify the processes running in the background that may be eating/hogging the resources that will most likely cause your computer to freeze
3rd open up console to check the crash report logs. Or any logs that could pertain to you issue

And when you get the freezes note down the time.
As soon as you can go to console, and post what you see in console.log and system.log in it. That will also give more clues.

Back