concerned about potential virus

Teester

Registered
Dear Mac user-friends!

I am not sure if my request is being posted in the right spot of the entire forum, I'll give it a try here. I hope there's somebody who can help me out.

My Mail software (Mac OSX.10.3.8) has done some strange things recently. I got emails which I had already gotten, some of them even a couple of months ago. So, my inbox received all of a sudden 116 emails all at once!

I assume that I may have a trojan virus or something else.
Question number one: is there anyone who had this particular problem before and wants to share his or her experiences and - hopefully - solutions to this? What can I do to clear my system, without re-formatting my harddisk?
Question 2: thinking about purchasing an anti virus software, what would you recommend buying? I assume that MacAffee and Norton Anti Virus are the top choices in the customer rankings. Are they really the best????

I really look forward to hearing from you, this problem is such a pain in the neck :(

No viruses/trojans for OS X.
Your problem is just related to your Mail application and settings.
Do you have the preferences set to keep on the server? for a certain amount of time?
Could be your ISP is the cause also.

Thanks bobw,

I appreciate your quick reply! I checked my preferences in the Mail software, but I cannot varify what you asked me for (sorry, I am not yet a Mac professional). Could you provide me with a quick step-by-step instruction, please? And what is ISP?

Open Mail, then under the Mail Menu (top of screen) open Preferences.
Click on Accounts icon
Click Advanced
Make sure Remove Copy from Server is not checked

ISP is your Internet Service Provider.

Hi, bobw

Okay, I could follow. Thanks for your patience!
I will try it like this now, hopefully my problem won't occur again. I feel relieved about what you said. A virus would have beeen the last thing I needed.
But, just in general, what's your (and of course all the other opinions of the forum guests included) opinion about virus/firewall protection for MacOSX?
Do you have any recommendations? Norton, MacAffee?.......
Thanks for the help!
Take care,

Teester

Virus programs will protect you from sending infected files/attachments to PC users. If you know what you're sending, not forwarding something you don't know, then you don't need it.

Can't recommend any, since I don't use one.

Back