connecting a g4 quicksilver to an apple //c??? can it be done physically?

dtmdoc

UC Gundam Freak
I have posted a similar thread on the apple two forum about
getting a g4 to read prodos formatted data.

I have hundreds of pages of data I would like to bring
to g4. i have just obtained an apple iic to read my old 5.25
(remember those) disks to transfer. is there someway to
physically connect an apple iic to a g4 or an older mac
so i can transfer it?

thanks in advance.

None of my literature lists a IIc; there's a Mac Classic, Classic II, Mac IIcx & IIci models, all of which have a SCSI DB-25 connection. If you have an old external SCSI hard drive & you add an inexpensive SCSI PCI card to your G4 (I've seen 'em for about $40) that would probably be the fastest way.

Originally posted by spclark
None of my literature lists a IIc; there's a Mac Classic, Classic II, Mac IIcx & IIci models, all of which have a SCSI DB-25 connection. If you have an old external SCSI hard drive & you add an inexpensive SCSI PCI card to your G4 (I've seen 'em for about $40) that would probably be the fastest way.

im sorry i meant an apple //c, not a mac :)

I've done this many times in the past but memory is getting holes.
First copy your 5 1/4 disks to 3 1/2 disks using the Apple ][disk copy tools from Apple.
The 3 1/2 disk is then readable by the Mac OS System if memory serves me well.
You will need Mac Link or other converter utility to convert you Apple ][ files to a Mac alike application format.

If you still have a printer connected to your Apple ][c you also can print all files and scan them back in with one or other OCR program.

Originally posted by fonny
I've done this many times in the past but memory is getting holes.
First copy your 5 1/4 disks to 3 1/2 disks using the Apple ][disk copy tools from Apple.
The 3 1/2 disk is then readable by the Mac OS System if memory serves me well.
You will need Mac Link or other converter utility to convert you Apple ][ files to a Mac alike application format.

If you still have a printer connected to your Apple ][c you also can print all files and scan them back in with one or other OCR program.

only problem is i dont have a 3.5 drive for the //c. :(

and i dont have a printer to connect to it either, nor do i have an OCR program

So far I remember 5 1/4 have never existed for Mac. The 3 1/2 disks could be externally connected via the floppy port on the //c.
Maybe you still can find one somewhere ?

In that time some companies existed doing dataconversions from one type to other types of disks. Maybe some companies still exist in your area ?:)

If you had a USB to Serial device for your mac, you could conceivably connect your Apple //c to your Mac with a null modem cable. Then using some term software like ProTERM on the //c, if you can find it somewhere, you could use your //c as a terminal and send files back and forth.

Hmm. It would probably be easier if you had zmodem-type tools available on the mac. I just installed those for myself before Jaguar, and I don't remember where I got them. Bother.

-Rob

Ah. Here.

http://us.dl.sourceforge.net/source...download/x86/packages/comms/lrzsz-0.12.20.tgz

You have to 'cd' to, say, the /usr directory and do something like this:
Code:
% [b]sudo gnutar xzf ~/Desktop/lrzsz-0.12.20.tgz[/b]
Of course you want to point to wherever you downloaded the tgz file. It contains executables.

Then you can use ProTERM or similar to connect to your Mac. Hmm. Haven't tried that myself. You'll have to look up pages that talk about connecting "dumb" terminals to your Mac. I know some people have tried it.

Not for the faint of heart, I guess.

-Rob

thank you guys for your help. do u have any idea where i can find a usb to serial port converter or a PCI card or anything?

thanks once again

I came across a site a few months ago from this guy who makes flash media "hard drives" you can connect to your old Apple's to preserve it as well as bring it to newer systems. He was producing limited quantities and selling them... I'll try and find the site again for you it may help.

kommakazi,

This adapter doesn't work in a //c as this system has no slots.
A //c has a buildin 5 1/4 drive and floppy port (DBstyle) for an external 5 1/4 or 3 1/2 floppy drive.

i thought it would be easier for me to this vs going to company
who would charge me hundreds of dollars to convert it to mac format.

Back