Connecting IMAC and G4

Beginner

Registered
Hello,

I just started with an older model IMAC (OS 10.1 installed) and bought a G4 (OS 10.3) and I am an absolute beginner.
Can s-body help me connecting these 2 for file sharing using just an ethernet crossover cable.
I have put the 2 computers on 'filesharing'.
Can I just connect the cables or do i have to do s-thing else and where can i see the other computer?
Thanks much for any help and keep in mind that i'm just a beginner!

The beginner.

I think I'm right in thinking that with the G4 you won't need a cross-over cable. Maybe the iMac is the same but I am not too certain.

But, since you have a cross-over cable, simply plug it into both machines. On both Macs (since they are running OS X should be straightforward)...

1. Open System Preferences
2. Select Sharing icon
3. Check Personal File Sharing from within the menu. This will activate AFP (Apple Filesharing Protocol).

Now, you need to make sure both Macs have IP numbers. If you have static IP numbers assigned by your ISP then use those. If not, you can use internal network numbers such as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.5 for both machines (you can use any number at the end)... Any IP number starting with 192.168.x.x is for internal use only, thus will not be recognisable from outside your network.

However, since you are probably connecting via ADSL to the Internet, I am betting one of your machines has an IP address?

At least connect the two machines and tell us how get on.

Back