CUPS on 10.1.5

Cliffster

Registered
Hi all

I am trying to set up my ibook running 10.1.5 to print to my ageing unsupported Epson Stylus Colur 600 via my XP box through my local network.

I know that 10.2 makes this very easy because it comes CUPS ready, however I am too poor to afford yet another OS upgrade.

As a workaround, I decided to install CUPS from the ADC website

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/cups/

and compile it myself. This seemed to work seamlesly and the cups daemon is apparent in the terminal (cupsd).

Great I thought, now to install Gimp Print

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

which has a driver for my Epson. The package refused to install, probably because of my OS being 10.1.5 rather than the min req of 10.2, so I extracted the files using a program called Pacifist and most importantly found the relevant PPD.
I added the printer in the print center using the LPR printer's using IP method and added my IP address of my XP box.
I also made sure that the print services for unix was installed on the XP machine.

However, when I try to print anything to the printer, the print center gets stuck when it says connecting to printer. Is there any chance of this working?
DOH
:mad: :mad: :confused: :confused:

Any thoughts anyone??

Regards

Cliffster

Hi,
Suggest you upgrade to 10.2.
In www.macwindows.com you can find the following 'manual' (note that no extra installation of CUPS is necessary - only the relevant GIMP files).
I have tried this with HP and LExmark - and it has worked fine:
--
How to print with Jaguar's CUPS: PC printers and more

In Mac OS X 10.2, you can access CUPS by going to your web browser and entering http://127.0.0.1:631. We've tried to find out more about Apple's implementation of CUPS, which lets you print to PC printers and print servers that you previously could not. There are still no Knowledge Base articles about it and nothing in Mac OS X Help. Apple's Developers page on Mac OS X printing just barely mentions the existence of CUPS in Jaguar. Apple describes CUPS as the print spooler in Mac OS X 10.2 and later. We did find a press release at the CUPS.org site from last March, when Apple licensed the technology from Easy Software Products. CUPS is actually a bit more than a print spooler, and includes a version of GNU Ghostscript, which is how CUPS enables Jaguar to print to non-Postscript (non-Mac) printers.

September 20, 2002
Michael Kuntscher sent us a detailed description of how to use the cross-platform CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) technology built into Mac OS X 10.2, as well as a description of the technology.
CUPS is probably one of the coolest additions to Mac OS X. CUPS is the foundation of Jaguar's new printing architecture. When you open Print Center and add a printer for example, you are really using CUPS.

If you open a browser and type in http://127.0.0.1:631 and hit Return, you are taken to the web interface to CUPS. If you click on the Printers link you will see the printers you have already configured in Print Center. If you add a printer using the web interface, it will also appear in Print Center.

I have a Netgear PrintServer (PS110) that I have been using for more than a year now. I have never been able to print to the two printers connected to it through my Macs until Jaguar came out. This is because the Previous printing architecture could not be configured to print through a print server, especially when one of the printers connected to it is "Windows-only." That printer is a LaserJet 6L.

However, with CUPS, all that has changed. Using the web interface, I clicked the link for "Add Printer." The next screen asks for printer name and location, so I typed that stuff in. Then on the next screen you are presented with a pulldown letting you select how your printer is connected to your computer. I chose "LPD/LPR Host or Printer" and clicked continue. On the next screen you enter the IP address for the print server (different connection selections in the previous will present different options on this screen obviously). The LaserJet was connected to the first parallel port on the print server, so I typed

"lpd://192.168.1.140/p1" and clicked continue.

The next couple of screens is where CUPS really shines. CUPS comes with a set of printer drivers that boast far more choices than Apple had been able to support with the previous printing architecture. On this first screen you choose the manufacturer of the printer. Clicking continue, you then select the kind of printer. By default, CUPS will list a couple of options for HP: a deskjet option, and a LaserJet option. An addition you can get for CUPS, called gimp-print, expands that list even further, allowing me to actually select a driver for the LaserJet 6 series of printers! Clicking continue one more time configures and sets up the printer driver and CUPS will tell you whether the operation was successful. Now the printer is ready! Open a Print dialog and you will see that printer listed. That's all there was to it.

With a little extra configuration (namely creating a symbolic link that allows CUPS to see the SAMBA spool file), you can get CUPS to offer you the choice of "Windows Printer via SAMBA" in the connection screen of the setup wizard mentioned above. Then you just type in the SMB address of the shared printer,

"SMB://[workgroup];username:password@computer/share" (not sure if that's the right format or not, but you get the idea) and now you can send jobs to a printer connected to your PC or known to your PC. This is how I got my deskjet printer to work on my Macs. It is connected to the second parallel port on the print server and so I set up CUPS to send the job to my PC, which knows how to send jobs to that printer.

The reason Apple may not provide any documentation in Help Center specific to CUPS is because setting up a printer in Print Center uses CUPS, but that this is not revealed to the user since all they typically care about it is printing, not the underlying method or technology that is used to accomplish it.

As I mentioned earlier, gimp-print is a freeware addition to CUPS that adds tons of printers and more printing and configuration options.

The latest version is 4.2.2, which is good for the just released 10.2.1. It has an installer that does everything for you. Once it is installed, when you go to set up a printer using the CUPS web interface or Print Center (I believe), you will see a lot more printers listed than before.

CUPS is the very basis of Jaguar's printing architecture and opens up a whole new realm of printing possibilities to Mac OS X users.
--

Hi John!

You present a very detailed instruction here but it does not work for me yet.

I have a LaserJet 4L connected to my "mixed" Jaguar/WinXP network via a DSL router which has a DHCP print server. While the printer works with Windows, I haven't been able to set it up with CUPS and gimp-print 4.2.2. I have followed exactly your instructions but no pages are being printed. The CUPS browser page reports "print job cancelled" and after a second attempt "client-error-not-possible".

I have also tried to connect the damn printer using http, ipp, and smb always being followed by the IP address. Who happens to have had more luck configuring a HP Laser Jet 4L ???? HELP!!!

Jaguar 10.2.1
iMac 500
512 MB RAM
40 GB HD (two equally large partitions)

:rolleyes:

I have only done this on a 'pure' OSX network/System.
I assume (without having very much clue to it!) That it is in the DSL Router/DHCP server it errs.
Try reposting on: www.macwindows.com which is where I found the detailed instruction quoted.
There's a lot of experinced croos-platform people on their fora's
Kindest
John Philip

Back