Default browser in Panther

monktus

Registered
Does anyone know how to set the default browser in Panther now that the Internet panel has disappeared? For some reason (previously in Jaguar too) although I set Safari as my default, it insists on opening Opera 5 when clicking on links from Mail.

Cheers,
Craig

Yep, they took away our main way of setting brower, email, etc.

For the browser, open Safari and go to Preferences under the Safari menu, the General Tab and you set the default browser there. Same with your email app, you have to set the default in the Preferences of Mail.

This seems to mirror the way Windows works. Internet settings are in Explorer. Keep an eye out for third-party freeware that lets you set these in a preferences panel (i.e., the venerable old Mac Way).

So I think you are telling me that it is IMPOSSIBLE to set Mozilla Firebird as my default browser since it does not have the pref setting feature in IT... Is that right?

This is stupid to make all of the various programs responsible for something that is clearly global to the OS... or, at least, has been since OS 8 (OS 7.1?)...

Can I cheat by somehow editing a plist or something?

Oops... I thought you meant you can set Safari as the default browser from within Safari... I did not realize you meant that from within Safari you could also choose non-Safari browsers as default.

This still seems like a stupid place to have this... What if you uninstall Safari? (I guess bobw is right... if you can't uninstall it then we have to consider it as part of the OS... Like in WinDoze.)

Apple's idea is that Safari should be our one-stop location for all-things-browsery. The unfortunate result is that every other browser is probably going to add a default browser option to their preferences just to be consistent. For this reason alone it's a bad precedent. We'll just have to send a note to Apple to register our feelings on the matter and hope they fix it.

As bobw already said you CAN change the default browser or email client within Safari's and Mail's Preferences to ANYTHING you desire... Yes! Even in IE! :p :D

;)

Hey folks. Have any of you tried this:

http://www.monkeyfood.com/software/MoreInternet/

It doesn't say if it works in Panther, but it's worth the try. I just needed to set my default browser so the way it works now seems fine, but if you want to set any other helper applications for internet protocols, then this sounds like the answer until Apple brings back the old Internet Panel.

I wonder; could you somehow copy the Internet prefs pane from Jaguar into Panther? Would it work? Would everything go kerblooey?

I just tried it. It works perfectly! I've submitted it to Mac OS X Hints for the rest of the community to enjoy!

Great. If you have any problems because of doing this, please post here back here and let us know.

Back