Default Folder X - a great product with a great attitude

edX

mac shaman
I have used Default Folder in os 9 for quite some time. It is a great app that replaces the system open/save dialogue box with a much better way of organizing. Well the OSX version came out last week and i jumped on it. It is the best default folder yet. click here to get a copy and try it for yourself.

but now the reason i posted in this forum. It isn't perfect yet. saving to a folder with huge numbers of files in it is pretty slow sometimes. so i fired off a complaint letter calling it a turd. i got back a very nice letter asking me about some specifics for the behavior. When i sent those back i apologized for being a bit harsh in my original email. the reply i got to that was:

"It wasn't taken as overly harsh - if our software doesn't work, or doesn't work optimally, that's our problem, not yours, and you should give us a hard time for it."

he later added:

"I really believe that - a software developer's job is to worry about things so the user doesn't have to. At least that's the job of a _Macintosh_ software developer. It's what makes the Mac different from Windows. Now, whether I can actually attain the level I aspire to, that's a different question. There's always a business case for shipping the product and generating revenue, even if it isn't perfect."

i was so impressed by the 1st statement that in continued correspondence i suggested i might go ahead and send in my update money sometime soon. this was the reply i got:

"Thanks - I suggest you wait for the fix, to make sure I follow through. The speed issue is particularly hard, because Default Folder X has to call the filter routines to determine what's shown in the list. I'm going to have to make the internals significantly more complicated to do some smart caching and avoid calling the file filter procedures as much.
- Jon"

So, why is it that all developers aren't like this. I have had them chew me out for suggesting they improve something or for being frustrated because of the way they lack intructions and intuitiveness. or worse yet, they just ignore you when you complain or need help.

Now doesn't Jon make you just a little bit prouder to own a mac knowing that there are developers like him on our side?

btw - i invited him to check out this site, so if he ever shows his face here, be nice. He's one of the good guys.;)

I, too, liked Classic Default Folders! I was so touched (tears streaming off face presently) by your tribute that I, too, will support this app IN OS X by registering as soon as the fix is implemented. It's one of the reasons why I don't use it to date. But I will soon!

And Ed, I agree -- I've had soooo many arguments with rude developers (I once called a legal software developer asking if they had a Mac version of their software and the guy practically HUNG UP ON ME!!! Just for asking. When I later emailed, I got the rudest(!!!) fu¢k off letter that I PUBLISHED it. I will support good developers and destroy bad ones. What ever happened to the montra: customer service is what we strive for!

Winners include: Micromat and (YES) Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit (NOT core MS!!!). Really, their MBU is really filled with MAC USERS who LOVE Macs and code FOR the Mac community -- Mac Office has many features NOT found in Windows version. Kudos to all developers that strive for excellence.

I gave DefaultFolderX a try last week. I really liked what I saw. However, I'm withholding my $$$ for the application until the developer adds the ability for it to work with Cocoa applications as well.

If it was a $10 or $15 application I'd buy it as is - but for $25, it needs to be a complete solution.

Damn, I just realized that OS X hasn't even been out for a full year now, and there are so many great 3rd party utilities to enhance the UI/user experience. You can even set up OS X to act/behave/look just like OS 9 if you so desire with apps like ASM, Fruit Menu, DragThing, Keyboard Maestro, and WindowShadeX.

well at least the cocoa issue is one that he states in the product description. He certainly isn't making that a surprize. At the moment i am enjoying that part. I am finding out which of my apps are cocoal and which are carbon. i know many people can tell anyway, but this is a quick and easy indicator for someone who is less osx savy like me. And he is working on fixing this issue. I certainly think the product was ready enough for release so that a number of people would find it very usefull right off the bat. I have sure played with a lot of apps that weren't this ready when they became available.

to clarify - the price is about $35, $20 for the upgrade. maybe a bit pricey i will agree, but one of the few helper apps i think is probably worth it in the convience it provides. I mean, this is an app i will use every day. It will only cost a few pennies per day or less. There are some programs you couldn't get the price down to less than a dollar a day before they charge you for the next update. and in the past, Default Folder was updated fairly regularly and for free. Besides, Jon clearly states not to bother buying it till it works for you - that's what i mean by great attitude.

So where do these other overly defensive and rude developers get their bad attitudes from? Is it just fragile egos or is there something more to it? I am sure we have all had experiences like GadgetLover's and I agree with him - why support people like that?

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
So where do these other overly defensive and rude developers get their bad attitudes from? Is it just fragile egos or is there something more to it? I am sure we have all had experiences like GadgetLover's and I agree with him - why support people like that?

Here's an example of a GREAT company:

I have had a few hard drive problems recently (don't ask) ... they have been GREAT at talking to me on the phone about it. Also, I am a proud owner of BOTH TechToolsPro AND Drive 10 (which is admitedly still under featured -- we need optimization and file checking too still). I've had a problem with my Drive 10 1.0.1 CD since I got it. They just shipped me (for free) a new CD with version 1.0.4 on it (and probably a newer version of the OS X too for bootups). Excellent folks! They surely know how to treat their customers and will continue to get my support.

Other folks couldn't even beg for my money anymore!

I guess it just shows that service is everything, most developers don't take criticism as gracefully. I will take Default Folder for a spin!

Back