Deleting users & admin

antonioconte

Registered
I'm having problems with my user in 10.2.2. I have an admin as a user as well (which I don't know whay by the way) It's running really slow and I'd like to create a new user and then delete the other two once I've ported over the relevant applications. Is this a good idea or should I just reinstall OSX again?

ALSO, if I did decide in the future to reinstall OSX, do I have to reinstall OS9 again as well?

Do you mean you have forgot your admin password? :confused:
How much RAM do you have on your mac?
If you have < 256 MB a new user difficultly makes the system fast.
When did you run fsck -y the last time?

10.2.4 is faster than 102.4 - but will not resolve other than speed problems. Can you try to get the upgdates (over 40 MB) to see if those speed up?

If you never use Classic, I guess you could try to live without it.

Hi,

I have 1mb of ram and it's a powerbook G4/500

If I log in as the admin instead as my main login, it's very, very fast.

Whats FSCK? by the way, what does it stand for?

I really need to know if my only option is the reinstall, and if so , can I do OSX only? or OS9 and then OSX?

Thanks

:rolleyes:

Err...really? 1 MB of ram? How do you survive? :D

Do you have applications automatically starting when you log in? That can slow the login. If you believe that being the admin has you loging in faster, you can make your normal login an admin user as well - log in as the admin user, open up the Accounts preference pane (in System Preferences), choose your normal login, choose Edit User, and at the bottom of the popup dialog there's a checkbox that says "Allow user to administer this computer." If you check, it makes that user an admin.

I don't really think that'll make your login any faster, though. Also, you can delete users and make new users from the Accounts preference pane.

fsck (lowercase, BTW) is a command-line program that will fix problems on your drive. To use it, hold down command (apple) s the next time you reboot or startup the computer. It will dump you into the console - just text. There's a prompt that says to type fsck -y - do that, and keep doing it until fsck reports no errors (it'll say ***SYSTEM MODIFIED**** or something like that when it corrects an error). You may have to run it several times before it reports no errors. After that, type /sbin/mount -uw /, then type exit to continue booting up normally.

fsck stands for, I believe, file system check - I could be wrong on that one.

It's not the login that's slow, it that user. Basically my normal user login, any application is slow under that user. But if I use the admin, it is very fast, explorer is fast, entourage is like a bat out of hell etc, etc.

Can I simply port one users prefs/apps over to the admin and then delete that user so I just have the admin user?

:)

I wouldn't try moving the preference files, you could run into problems doing that one, but anything else you could move from the home folder of the user to the home folder of the admin, yes.

All of the applications are in /Applications, unless you kept some in your user's home folder, so you really don't need to port them (minus any in the user's home folder).

Starting the mac, hold down apple-s keys.
Then run fsck -y
It could fix some problems.

Originally posted by antonioconte
I'm having problems with my user in 10.2.2. I have an admin as a user as well (which I don't know whay by the way) It's running really slow and I'd like to create a new user and then delete the other two once I've ported over the relevant applications. Is this a good idea or should I just reinstall OSX again?

ALSO, if I did decide in the future to reinstall OSX, do I have to reinstall OS9 again as well?

At this point of the game, I'd recommend installing OS 9 as well. I recently wiped out my mac and started over w/ a clean install. During that time, I found that some apps would not install w/o a SYSTEM FOLDER (os9) even though it was an OS X app. (like Illustrator 10). After I installed OS 9, then OS X, it installed fine. :confused:

kafene.

Originally posted by antonioconte
Ok, think I'm going to have to do that. What do you recommend that I back up then just in case?

Thank You

:rolleyes:

If you have the disks for all the software, I'd just back up all the data files or workers you may still be working on and the preferences to those applications (i didn't bother to back-up my preferences because I wanted to start from scratch after the clean install, but that'll be up to you).

Make sure you back up any files and workers - I know I'm repeating this one, but I backed up ALL my stuff to my secondary drive, then decided I wanted to format that too and FORGOT I backed it up on THAT drive.. losing EVERYTHING...:D That's one SURE way to make a clean start LOL. Just don't want you do make the same mistake =-)

kafene.

Back