Desktop Background almost only thing visible?!

Kawee

Registered
Basically: I feel pretty f****. I was using my laptop like I normally do, it was asking for a few updates and for some reason some of them failed. I felt everything was going too slow, so I decided to reboot. For some reason unknown to me if I try to reboot from the menu in a proper fashion it only logs out and then in again, so I use the actual power button. So I press it, wait a little, press it again and log in to what seems like madness.

Basically my screen isn't showing anything but the desktop background and a small part of a corner with information about battery and the wireless connection. The little menu that pops up with programs and so on works, but I cannot click anything except System Preferences. Through that I can get the rest of the upper meny line, and I can open Safari but not Mozilla which is the program I usually use, there's a lot of other programs on that list, but they won't work. That's how I'm reaching you right now. I cannot get to my hard drive, when I insert CDs they don't show up anywhere. If I was to attach something here everything shows up exactly where it's supposed to be, but I cannot see or access it. I even tried open some recent documents and they were fine.

I ran an apple hardware test, everything came out fine.

Now, I'm smelling a possibility that I have to install the OS again, which wouldn't be a problem had it not been for the fact that I am a friggin' idiot and haven't done backup of a LOT of my stuff in a while. Including pictures and about.. 35 GB of music. Well, some of it's backupped, but you get the point.

In desperation I actually opened another gmail account where I am uploading pictures and stuff, in case I cannot fix this problem. If anyone have any ideas of a better way to do backup that would be nice. (I cannot physically click my harddrive and the CDs and DVDs I insert do not show up so it would have to be through safari, I suppose.)

It's an iBook g4, a year and a half old. Mac OS X version 10.4.8 with a 1.42 GHz Power PC g Processor and 512 MB of built in memory.

Thanks a lot in advance, I really do not know what to do.

Thanks a lot in advance, I really do not know what to do.

If possible, you can try to create another user and check if the same thing happens. If not, some users settings are corrupted, if too, some system tuff seems to be corrupted.

Creating another user might be tricky if you can not access the control panel.

Good luck, Kees

I tried creating another user, and I got the same problem. X_X I logged in, and just the background, corner of the line and the dock shows up.

System tuff? If that is the case, can I solve the problem by re-installing the OS? And is it possible to re-install it without deleting all my files? (Stupid question I know, but I had to ask)

Thanks anyway, I really appreciate it.

Yeah, it's not really good to reboot after a failed update. Best is to attempt to resolve the issue before a reboot either by attempting the update again (in case the connection was dropped) or manually downloading the updates and applying them that way. What made things worse is forcing it off the way you did.

Fortunately, you can perform an Archive and Install installation that will install a new System folder but leave your documents, user accounts, and applications intact. The option will show up when you go through the installation process.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, it's not really good to reboot after a failed update. Best is to attempt to resolve the issue before a reboot either by attempting the update again (in case the connection was dropped) or manually downloading the updates and applying them that way. What made things worse is forcing it off the way you did.

Fortunately, you can perform an Archive and Install installation that will install a new System folder but leave your documents, user accounts, and applications intact. The option will show up when you go through the installation process.

Hope this helps.
X_x Yeah, I should have known that. Silly me, that was quite foolish when I think about it.

So, you're saying I can use this archive and install if I insert the Install disc? Is there a chance I'll lose my stuff anyway, and if so how big is it, because if the risk is large I think I'll continue with my desperate archiving of photos and so on. But it's kind of hopeless, there's so much of it.

I've never re-installed the OS before, so I don't quite know what I am doing. X_X

Edit: I also do not have a lot of disc space left on my computer. How much do I need to use the archive and install option?

X_x Yeah, I should have known that. Silly me, that was quite foolish when I think about it.

So, you're saying I can use this archive and install if I insert the Install disc? Is there a chance I'll lose my stuff anyway, and if so how big is it, because if the risk is large I think I'll continue with my desperate archiving of photos and so on. But it's kind of hopeless, there's so much of it.

I've never re-installed the OS before, so I don't quite know what I am doing. X_X

Edit: I also do not have a lot of disc space left on my computer. How much do I need to use the archive and install option?

As I mentioned, Archive and Install will only replace the System folder. Eveyrthing else is left intact so you won't lose your apps, users, or documents. It takes the old System folder and puts it into a tar.gz compressed file if I'm not mistaken.

Once you boot from the installation discs, go through the install process but keep your eyes peeled for the Archive and Install option. It even gives a brief description of what will be done if you select that option (which I've already described :)).

Even still, it's good that you're backing up your data. Anything can happen, so it's always best to have backups just in case.

Good luck.

sounds like the finder is hosed, which is why you have some menu items, and the dock works, but can't even use a different user as that is part of the finder. looks like you'll have to do as nix says and archive and install.

Yeah, thanks a lot to all of you.

My computer is currently working fine, but something happened when I tried to re-install the OS, and well.. everything is lost.

:(

I know this is a longshot, but any programs/methods to get back what's lost? I'm terribly frustrated by this, I cannot remember exactly what happened but it told me something about having the wrong version and a need to delete or something or another. I didn't lose anything I can't get back (only lost 34 GB of music) so it's not a crisis, but yeah.. I don't think I've really realised what I've actually done yet. X_____X

But anyway, thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Back