Desktop Icon Placement broken. Anyone else?

clc2112

Registered
For over a year now everytime I place something on the desktop via download or save to desktop (read: not actually dragging it myself) the items get placed on top of each other in the lower right corner. I do not have any kind of setting such as snap to grid or arrange by... set in the view options but it should still know to place it somewhere else and not on top of another item. Here is a screen shot of what my lower right desktop looks like.

desktopError.tiff

Any ideas?

Not a perfect answer, but: I never choose to save ANYTHING to the desktop. Downloads go into a downloads folder. Files/documents go into a (surprise!) files/documents folder. I have both of these folders on the desktop, and are both set for list view, so I really have no problem with files stacking. I have around 20 other folders on the desktop, and leave space in the upper right for removable drives to mount, and items rarely move around for me, unless I choose to move them.

I know it's really not much help, but I have the same problem, except its on the TOP right corner.

Annoying as hell!

with panthers awesome finder I will never understand why people clutter the dt with icons in the first place. cmd+n in the finder gives you a window to access anything you have, search and the dock is a great resource also to eliminate dt clutter. apps like quicksilver help even more.

"think different"

blue&whiteman said:
with panthers awesome finder I will never understand why people clutter the dt with icons in the first place. cmd+n in the finder gives you a window to access anything you have, search and the dock is a great resource also to eliminate dt clutter. apps like quicksilver help even more.

"think different"
So true - - I have a variety of folders on the desktop, but don't save anything else to the desktop - everything goes into the folders. These are my active daily use folders, and works for me. Others I access through a Finder window as blue&whiteman mentions.

If you don't like the 'clutter' that the Finder can make of the Desktop, then get rid of it (the clutter, that is)

Each of us has our own likes and dislikes. I use the desktop for items that I need to print or view quickly. It beats going into the download folder to find the document. But I do trash what is not needed anymore.

Periodically icons will end up on top of each other. If you go to View Menu and select clean up those icons will unlayer themselves.

Yes. I have this problem as well. Snap to grid is all kablooey too. Hard Drive icon relocates on startup, which I imagine is related in some way.

Never could find an answer. Just because it's not important to some doesn't mean it's not important to others. Isn't that what Mac's all about -- working how you want to?

Back