desktop won't update until i click on it or...

boi

official breaker of macs.
relaunch finder. like when i download a file it won't appear on the desktop until i click on the desktop. and it won't change from a partial file to the file icon until i relaunch finder.
is this normal?

Oo boi o.

I have seen this since OS X was released. I do have to say that is does seem better now than with 10.0. I remember having to go to the point of creating a folder on the desktop just to have the file appear on the desktop. I didn't follow the progress of this glitch through all the versions, but at least in 10.1 and 10.1.1 seem to atleast show up 90% of the time, and some files that do not require decompression sometimes require that I click out of IE or whatever foreground app I may be in to click and highlight another file on the desktop to refresh the desktop.

The best way I found to get around seeing this happen is to just download files to a folder elsewhere and put an alias on the desktop or in the dock, that way when you open the folder the contents will be refreshed. (I try not to clutter up the pretty desktop pictures:D )

Sorry for the double post but I forgot to mention that the problem differs in severity based on what program you use. Internet Explorer usually will not always show up downloaded files until you click on something on the desktop (or a file in the same directory you downloaded the file in). I have this problem constantly in Hotline connect though. The files are fully downloaded, but they show up as partial files. Clicking on them just will not do the trick. I tried creating a new folder in the same directory, still no luck. I them moved the files from their location to the newly created folder then checked the contents, now they show up complete.

So hopefully Apple is aware of this glitch and will continue their efforts to squash it. From what I see they are getting there..

yah- for carracho files that show up as partially downloaded i typically relaunch the finder to get them to work. semi-frustrating. not as frustrating as files not showing up until you click on the desktop.

It is definitely app related, as far as my experience is concerned.

IE, almost 99% of the time, will not show up on the desktop until I CLICK on the desktop. OmniWeb downloads are fine, for me. IE, although better in general than the original version that came with OS 10.0, is spotty with a lot of stuff like this. Dragging images from an IE window to desktop sometimes works for me, sometimes it doesn't. Click + HOLD doesn't work, you have to Ctrl + CLICK...

I am trying to use just OW 4.1 sp10, right now, for all my browsing, but everyonce and a while, I have to use IE for something...

Back