Developer Tools?

FlashMac

Registered
Hi

Just a quick question really regarding compatibility of Developer Tools.

I need to install this to make packages for Apple Remote Desktop, however the disc I have is for 10.2 'or later'. (I am running 10.3.8). I tried to install it (why not?) and it optimizes, reaches the end of the install process.
I cannot find Developer Tools anywhere on the machine - so I guess it didnt install successfully after all! I looked in Apps and Utils and searched for relevant phrases - nada.

Oh well, its not the end of the world as it is an old disc - but can I phone Apple and ask for another one if I give them my volume license number, or would I have to pay for it? Did they stop sending out discs with dev tools on after 10.2?

http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/ - only offers 'CHUD Tools' and Xcode 1.5 but I don't think this is what I need - or is it?

ARD just seems to assume you know how to use it, and the developer page seems to assume you have developer-level knowledge of your requirements (perhaps understandably) but all I need to do is create a package installer and apparently I need these things and to be honest I'm a little confused.

Actually, Xcode 1.5 is exactly what you need. They changed the name from "Developer Tools" to "Xcode" with the release of 10.3, if I recall correctly. And the developer tools should have been installed at the root level of your hard drive, if the install worked.

Ahh thanks - I didnt spot the Folder called 'Developer' in there among the others - I wonder why it didnt turn up in a search? Never mind.

Also, it appears to have Package Maker installed in there so maybe I won't need to install Xcode - but I'll know where to look if I'm missing anything.

Thanks again.

If you have Developer as a folder on your mac, chances are very high you already have XCode installed.

Viro said:
If you have Developer as a folder on your mac, chances are very high you already have XCode installed.

Yes and no. He stated in the original post that he had run the "Developer Tools" installer. This would be where the Developer folder came from. In a sense you could say he has Xcode installed, as the "Developer Tools" are basically the same thing, although significantly older. However, the software has gone through several updates and a name change from "Developer Tools" to Xcode since what he has installed, so technically he has "Developer Tools", not Xcode. Minor technicality, I suppose :)

Back