Diffcult.. Stuck..

TheUnknown

Registered
I'm trying to decide which desktop computers I want. I was leaning more toward to the 1GHz eMac, but I'd like your guys' input on this. I'm just looking for the right computer to suit my internet and general needs, and of course I'm not a genius at computer stuffs. I was thinking maybe an iMac.

And yes, I'd like to boot into OS 9 also. Let me know your opinions on this.

From what I hear, if the LCD screen isn't a big deal for you, the eMac is the much better buy (especially if you are in school, check out the educational discounts!). You get a lot more for 1200 in an emac than an iMac. That's my 2 cents.

MP

What is your budget? How much can you spend? What do you do with your mac? = just browse, or do image or music or video editing too?

If price is an important factor (when the $$s count), eMac is not a bad purchase for general use. At least I wouldn't call it bad. :)

Well, I don't care about the LCD Display, and.. My budget would be a little over $2,000. Yes, I'm in school, and I just want a good Mac computer for internet, Adobe Photoshop, school works, general stuff.

Maybe eMac, and later eventually an ibook (maybe a second hand?) for the work on the road (do you have a laptop now)? Or maybe eMac and an iPod combination...

Hmm, I was leaning more toward on eMac, and on my senior year.. I might be required to have a laptop, perhaps that will be the good chance for me to get an iBook?

At this point, the eMac is the only way to go if you want/need to boot into OS 9. If you'll need a laptop, the school should provide you with one; otherwise, that's a lot of money to ask their students to put down if it's not college.

Why don't you pay a visit to an Apple Store and check through their student discounts? Or even online?

Personally, with $2K I would go for a PowerBook (any PB) and an iPod :D

Of course you would expect me to say so because I am a proud owner of a TiBook 15"/1GHz/DVD-R :p

Still, eMac is great and especially the 1GHz model coupled with an iBook 12"/900MHz with >=256MB RAM... ;)

Originally posted by arden
At this point, the eMac is the only way to go if you want/need to boot into OS 9. If you'll need a laptop, the school should provide you with one; otherwise, that's a lot of money to ask their students to put down if it's not college.

Depending on the level of the school you are attending ... if he is doing a MSc, he sure is requested to have his computer or laptop, whichever more suitable.

What are you studying? In lets say 3 years, how much of the work do you think you could do outisde your home (and eMac/iMac) ? I think some portablity won't probably be bad either, so eMac (and then one day iBook or TiBook) .. or directly a TiBook (or iBook)? ...

I usually stick around home a lot, it's not like I'm in college right now. High school, yes, and I think they requires the students to have laptops on their senior years. I don't think they'll provide us with one, why not buy a PowerBook at that time? Unless there's a new laptop created already at that time.:p

So, I'm thinking maybe a SuperDrive eMac, it costs $1,299.00 right now in the Apple store. Do you think I should buy it? Here's the specs provided.

1GHz PowerPC G4
256MB SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive

I planned to buy the Ultimate one, but from what I read on there, it doesn't allow booting into OS9. I prefer to boot into OS 9 in case if a friend comes over and needs my computer with OS 9 or something like that, you know. Always good to be ahead of time and things. And I would have money to buy Panther, and other certain products I'd like to purchase in the future.:D

arden summed it up pretty succinctly:
Originally posted by arden
At this point, the eMac is the only way to go if you want/need to boot into OS 9.
Unless, of course, you want to go second-hand. Currently the eMac and the G4 Tower are the only machines I know of that Apple offers with the ability to boot Mac OS 9.

On a slightly related note (related to school requiring purchase of computer): I can't remember where I saw it, but starting this coming Fall, Berklee College of Music is requiring that all students buy a Mac (PowerBook?). They will be offering them at a discount of course, I think even more of a discount than the usual HE discount from Apple.

edit: Found the link-- http://www.berklee.edu/computers/default.html

Not too bad:
* Apple PowerBook computer with 15" screen, 1GB G4 processor, 512MB RAM, 60GB Hard Drive, DVD/CDR/CD-RW SuperDrive (burns CD-Rs and DVDs), Airport wireless card, 10/100/1000 Ethernet, USB, FireWire, audio in/out.
* Microsoft Office (including updates while enrolled at Berklee)
* Coda Finale (including updates while enrolled at Berklee)
* SmartMusic Studio with Mic (incl. upgrades while enrolled at Berklee)
* Midiman Oxygen8 keyboard controller
* Special version of Propellerheads Reason adapted for Berklee College of Music (including updates while enrolled at Berklee)
* 4 years of AppleCare extended warranty
* 4 years of Apple Operating System upgrades.
* First year of insurance with $100 deductible. Insurance may be extended to include coverage for musical instruments at additional charge.

The cost? US $2500!!

Hmm, the G4 tower sounds good, I should look into that. Glad to hear a school is smart enough to have the students use an Apple product!;)

Edit: I checked the specs and price of the ComboDrive, it was kinda pricey with the "17 display. So I'm gonna stick with SuperDrive eMac! Thanks guys for your inputs, it really has helped me a lot. If you want to add some more ideas or whatever you like, then go ahead.:D

Back