Disk drive going south

pedz

Registered
I have a Maxtor disk, 250G. I actually can't recall what is on it. Its in a Firewire external housing.

When I plug it in and try to use it, it goes "ka-click" about once a second until it finally gives up. Is there any hope for it?

The two alternatives are very short in this situation. If you can get the disk out, put is in an airtight bag and freeze it for while. Then when you take it out of the freezer quickly put it in the firewire enclosure. You will have mere minutes to get the data you want off it.

The second thing is pay someone like DriveSavers to get your data off it.

I had a similar problem with an external LaCie drive. It turned out to be the power supply failing (it blew up before I could shut the HD down) rather than the HD itself, which is still going strong.

You might be lucky too. It's worth checking the power unit.

Michael

I've had the same Ka-click sound with my dead 3 month old Lacie external drive (you'd think these days most things would last more than 3 months). TechTool says that its a hardware problem which it cannot fix. Having spoken to Lacie they reckon the drive is dead & told me to return it for repair but couldn't guarentee the security of the data, if it was retrievable.

Having been told to return it to the vendor I got in contact with Play.com, not the best place for computer hardware but it had the best price. Unfortunately they won't touch it as it has been taken out of the box, even when I point out that it is within its warranty period and all they need do is send it onto Lacie. Lacie won't take it direct but won't get in contact with Play.com.

That's 2 companies I will never be using again!

Back