do you guys think apple should have waited on the release of "jag-wire"

dtmdoc

UC Gundam Freak
i am curious... it seems like many people have had a less than smooth transition to jaguar. in light of the fact that certain
apps will not be released until later in the month (iCal, etc.)
and jaguar is not without bugs, should they have released jaguar
at the expected release date of sep 30 or so.

im curious for feedback either way, as i'm considering
getting jaguar myself, but im a little intimidated
by some of the problems some people seem to have with
upgrading.

I also wonder if the release of Jaguar came a few weeks (or months) too early?

iCal and other apps are just the tip of the iceberg. A lot of hardware devices (f.e. HP and Lexmark printers) are also not supported yet.

And wouldn't December 24 (or a few days before) have been a nice release date, too? Merry Christmas with Apple? I think so!

Some people are going to have problems upgrading OSs one way or another.

And I honestly feel that those who have the major problems are the ones who's hardware is teetering on the recomended limits (old hardware), or have modified their system at the core (thus having a problem when doing an upgrade install).

You seem to have very new hardware and I really don't think you'll have much problems really...

I just strongly recomend backing up your user folder like to another drive, partition, other computer, or external storage before you do an install...

If storage space permits - I'd also recomend backing up your Applications folder, I had such a painless and smooth transition by doing that - and just dragging the programs I wanted back into the new Applications folder. I only had to re-install 2 of them. :)

Once you've backed up your data to a different drive/partition, it's a good idea to do a fresh install so you'll have the least possible problems.

Oh, and in case your Macs came with MP3s (our new one at the office didn't - but the one I bought a year ago did, weird), you might want to back those up too. :)

Good luck!

thanks for the responses... im going to upgrade soon
i suppose.

also, thanks for the tips prior to upgrading.. i think i will burn to cd my most important work files (which i should do anyway) then copy my user folder to my other drive. heck i could put it on
my iBook too :) then do the opposite when it comes time
to upgrade it.

I haven't had any problems with Jaguar. Just in case though I did a fresh install and still have my 10.1.5 on another hard drive and 10.1.5 and 9.2.2 on a FireWire drive

I am really enjoying Jaguar! There a a few rough spots, but I would rather have the extra features now and wait for a couple updates to fix the rough spots than wait for all of it.

-JARinteractive

It was more of a benefit upgrading my slower machines with a clean install than it was with my LCD iMac with a non-clean install.

Old machines are a lot faster now, and everything works (I'm talking MySQL etc.)

Non-clean install on iMac has made it slightly faster, but seriously messed up MySQL and other Unix related stuff.

Yes, I think Sept 26th would've been better.

I did an upgrade with my 15" flat screen iMac and have had NO problems. The problem is by it's very nature most people come to a forum for help. And thus us readers get only the horror stories. And people like me who have had no problems never speak up. So I am speaking up. I upgraded and I am having NO problems with 10.2

Thanks

Matthew

I have had some problems with missing text in the browsers....not all of the browsers....it's mostly an I.E. thing..

Other than that, though, I love it.

I have had since the morning of the 24th....and I don't regret buying it or installing it at all..

I wanted it as soon as I heard about it.

I expect this text issue will be fixed in 10.2.1

As always, results may vary lol....

I love Jaguar, though....I LOVE IT....

I have tortured all of my friends on the dark side with it....since I bought it. :)

Back