Dock Or Taskbar?!

Sorry, but there is a reason that the Apple Menu is in the upper left corner of the display. Repeating Microsoft's bad interface design (which was done because they were trying to be different from the Mac OS) is not going to help market share. Also it has been shown that people recognize icons faster than text (which was why the NeXT dock and the Apple dock both use icons, and MS was again trying not to look like they had taken idea's from other operating systems when they chose text).

All of this is painfully academic. The only thing that Apple did that was poor design with the dock was it's default positioning (which really should be in the same place as the NeXT dock along the right side of the screen, pinned at the top). Everything displayed on the screen should work their way out from the upper left corner, which means that the one area were there is the most open space is on the right side of the screen (which is because most screens are wider than they are tall, and most documents are actually taller than they are wide). From this, the most important menu to the system should be in the upper left corner, which why the Apple Menu has been there for the past 18 years.

Originally posted by RacerX
All of this is painfully academic. The only thing that Apple did that was poor design with the dock was it's default positioning (which really should be in the same place as the NeXT dock along the right side of the screen, pinned at the top). Everything displayed on the screen should work their way out from the upper left corner, which means that the one area were there is the most open space is on the right side of the screen (which is because most screens are wider than they are tall, and most documents are actually taller than they are wide). From this, the most important menu to the system should be in the upper left corner, which why the Apple Menu has been there for the past 18 years.

Only problem I see with the Dock at the top right (I do keep it on the right edge) is the menu bar being on top. I don't like it up there against it, though I have tried it. If there were no menu bar, I think I would be happy with it up there.

deagle.

Check your "PM's" please.

I have sent you one regarding your signature. It cannot stay in it's current state as per the rules of the board.

Please change it to something less offensive please.

Regardless of your position on the issue, AskTog has a relevant column that is interesting to read (Bruce Tognazzini is a HCI designer and founder of Apple's Human Interface Group, so I think he's credible):

http://www.asktog.com/columns/044top10docksucks.html

For me, the Dock works great if I'm only using it to keep track of the apps I have open. DragThing works much better and more cleanly for actually organizing apps, folders and files, so with the combo I'm unstoppable.

The plus on the TaskBar side is that it gives so much functionality all at once, between the application shortcuts and the system tray (is that what it's called?)... But it just doesn't make me smile like the Dock does.

Back