documents on separate drive

andygodwin

Registered
hi all
as i have 2 hard drives i want to use one for osx system and the other for ALL files documents photos music etc.. so when i backup or archive i just do the 'documents' drive but Tiger seems to default to the user on the osx drive.. eg moving i tunes music to 'documents' means that when itunes starts up again it just creates a new folder in the user account.
i thought about using an alais of the folder but you cant archive an alias.

any ideas

regards andy

You can set the location of the music folder in iTunes' Preferences -- simply point it to your seconary hard drive.

This is all application-specific. There is no universal command to tell OS X to use the folder on your secondary drive -- you must tell each application individually to use the secondary drive, like above with iTunes.

You can re-define you home directory to be on the second drive. It's a three step process:

1) copy your excisting home directory to where you want it to be situated
2a) start 'Netinfo Manager' (found in Utilities)
2b) click on the lock and authorize yourself
2c) find yourself in Users
2d) double-click on the entry for the home directory in the bottom pane and set the new value
2e) click on another user and answer 'yes' to the question about updating
2f) quit 'Netinfo Manager'
3) log out and log in again. No restart needed.

thanks bjarne, one thing, when you say 'set a new value' for the home directory, what do you mean?? do you mean set a new location?? if so how, because the value its on at the moment doesnt relate to the drive the homw directory is using .

A

Back