Does jaguar crash more than OSX.1 ?

Is Jaguar more "crashy" than OSX.1 ?

• YES, Jaguar crashes more than previous OSX for me.

• Jaguar and my previous OSX crashed the SAME.

• NO, Jaguar is more stable than my previous OX and crahes less.

• I don't have Jaguar.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This makes me sad. I've had my new iBook 800 running for 10 minutes and this is the second application crash already.

I'm pretty sure its due to my RAM, or lack there of. Not to worry, 512 MB is on the way! :D

Attachments

• crash.jpg
    crash.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 19
I believe that Stuffit Crash is due to security issues. I have had the same problem, but last night I downloaded the security patch or what not through Software Update and it hasn't happened since. I don't think it could be Ram, because well, I have 894mb of it and it still happened to me.

And on topic except for a few driver issues that plagued me until i removed them, and bought a different ethernet card with Jaguar drivers, No crashes for me.

I am very happy with Jaguar so far. Not bad for an $80 upgrade!! :D

To itanium -
I'm not sure, i don't remember seeing one on software update. the iChat crash could possibly be due to minimal ram. Oh and i'm merely theorizing on that one since i don't use it and don't know how demanding it is. That stick of 512 should help out a bunch though.

-Greystroke-

i originally had a bad install, but since the reinstall everything has been fine and dandy :)

Ok, someone help me out here because I'm getting kind of annoyed.

I've had my iBook two days and iChat has crashed twice and Stuffit three times. No big deal, probably due to lack of RAM.

Now, for some reason unknown to me, TextEdit just decides to hang, giving me the spinning beach ball of death. I have to force quit it to make it close.

It used to work but now it doesn't. What the hell is going on?

I don't want to have to reinstall, I've only had the iBook two days. Why is it giving me so much trouble? Aaaaaarg! :(

itanium:

Have you fsck'd yet?

Also, are you updated to 10.2.1?

I had a ton of weird crashes when I first installed Jaguar. After a while, it stopped crashing.

I didn't just install Jaguar, it came with the new iBook. Its version 10.2.1. I don't know why I should have to use "fsck" because I haven't shutdown improperly or had a system crash.

well not exactly, fsck is a command line that is excuted in single user mode during startup that will scan repair your main harddrive. essentially it runs disk first aid manually as opposed to the automatic check and repair that occurs after faulty shutdown.

there are tons of threads about fsck and fsck-y on the site.

Acutally, fsck in OS X runs a program called fsck_hfs to repair HFS+ partitions.

The original fsck can't do anything for HFS+ partitions. It is used to repair UFS partitions. Inodes, link counts, data blocks, etc, don't exactly correspond the same way with HFS+.

fsck_hfs uses the same diagnostic and repair libraries as Disk First Aid therefor there is no benefit of running fsck over Disk First Aid.

It has been my experience with UFS that if you have to run fsck, you're pretty much fscked.

Thanks to JFS, fsck is unnecessary.

ok, so i'm half right - fsck is the command and it runs an app that is equivilent to disk first aid. makes sense. when things get that screwed up i tend to just go ahead and run diskwarrior and then maybe plus optimizer. there's so many things that disk first aid just doesn't fix yet the system will run "o.k." like that. better to just go ahead and let the advanced app check it over good. something i plan to do tomorrow while i watch some football since i had a pair of power outages last night.

but fsck is certainly popular with the 'nix crowd and the rest of the mac community who don't want to shell out for a real disk repair app.

I think jaguar crashes more than osx10.1.x .... on my powerbook wallstreet. Every so now and then I get a "grey screen of death". Since I've seen many posts about this and powerbooks I guess it's a powerbook thing.

As soon as I installed, or tried to install, jaguar on my powerbook it crashed, forcing me to reformat my harddrive and all. Then it ran well but still I get those crashes so now and then, even after I upgraded my PB to a 500Mhz G4 processor.

I also use a Umax s900with a 350MHZ G4 Upgrade. That one never crashed and is rock solid. So I had some problems voting but voted for "crashes more" anyway.

woah, Jaguar just crashed again today! Second time since I installed it... which was the day it came out... hmm I forget when that was (huge line @ apple store)

It has a totally different kernel panic that is quartz-beautified. It says simply "You must restart your comptuer" in like 5 different languages.

Back