Dot Matrix printing in OSX

barryrosen

Registered
OK, I have the seemingly unanswerable question. Is anybody out there printing within OSX to a dot matrix or impact printer. I'm trying desperately to get all our machines to X but cannot find a single driverby ANYONE (Epson, Oki, HP, Panasonic, etc.) for X. They don't exist. Gotta use multipart forms for invoices but need to get off system 9 and PowerPrint.

Any suggestions?

Sorry to say this, but apple had stopped support those printers. You are stuck in OS 9.
I do recall that there was an ink jet that could print multipart forms, but I can't remember who. Or it was a form that works on inkjets.

There is a work around. Scan the form on to the computer, then use it as a template and print the number of copies you need.

Thanks for the response. I find it amazing that Apple will write off all small businesses that use mulipart invoices from using OSX. But the truth is that it's even more amazing that epson, HP, etc. haven't resolved this.

Although your suggestion works for scanning it still presents the same old problem we've had since working on this. We need to have the recipient sign on the top copy and have it go through all four parts, as it does now with the dot matrix and multi-part papers. dditionally they are all together when printing so that I don't have to have someone collate after printing the day's invoices.

Barry

Have you checked with Avery or the other forms people. I wonder if they have a multi part form that works in ink jets.

Originally posted by jcart12
have you tried CUPS printing, now available in 10.2 Jaguar. You may find this works.

Yes, once you get it working it does work very well... I'm using CUPS to print to a 722c HP printer connected to a 233 Pentium running Linux. :D
For those who don't know what the 722c is, it's a "win" printer. just like a winmodem, it needs special software to run and is only supported in windows.

Originally posted by jcart12
have you tried CUPS printing, now available in 10.2 Jaguar. You may find this works.

Another hearty cheer for CUPS from me. I've been using it on a NetBSD PC to print to a LaserJet4 for some time (and from mac, UNIX, and windows clients, I might add). A quick search on google shows plenty of people who have used it for various dot matrix printers.

For more info about CUPS and where to get PPDs (files that give support for printers) check out http://www.cups.org.
For info about setting up CUPS in 10.2, search for CUPS at: http://www.macosxhints.com or your favorite alternate.

(I thought I saw a good instructional thread about this on macosx.com, but my quick search didn't find it.... oh well.)

Good Luck!
-alex.

Back