dreamweaver MX 6.1 (not 2004) garbled entity text

larry98765

Registered
Hi All,

Lately, characters have been showing up wrong in Dreamweaver MX 6.1 (but ok for the same documents in MX 2004.)

Basically, character entities (i.e. & … etc.) don't show up properly in the DW environment (they're presented as squares, for example), and the overall font is larger than expected. Neither problem appears in the same document when viewed in a web browser or in MX 2004.

(Why don't I just use MX 2004? I don't have a license for it on the machine I sometimes use.)

I searched to no avail for info on this. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Larry

What encoding is the document set to? How about your system?

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

Thanks for your reply mdnky,

I thought it might have to do with the encoding. And yes, the encoding is:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

And when you say "How about your system?" Do you mean what platform? I'm on os 10.3.

But these documents look ok on one of my macs (at work, system 10.3, MX 2004) and not on my PowerBook (10.3 / MX 6.1) or my Desktop G4 (also 10.3 / MX 6.1). So same docs (same encoding), same OS, but different version of Dreamweaver.

What do you think?

I don't recall having any issues with special characters in the old MX version, though it was mostly used under 10.1.x, but I don't see that making a big difference. It's probably been 6 to 8 months since I last used it though, so I could be forgetting something here.

I'm guessing this happens in Design View...which is something I rarely use. That might be why I never noticed the issue. As long as they're (pages) working properly in browsers, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even though it's a WYSIWYG editor, that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be exact or correct all the time in the design view mode.

You haven't by chance changed the system fonts to custom ones on those machines, have you?

If anyone's still following this thread, I've gotten closer to solving the problem.

I use templates or includes to insert the blocks of code for the header and footer on all my pages. The declaration of page encoding is there. So Dreamweaver doesn't always know what the encoding is when displaying these header-less page segments.

Somehow, it seems as though the encoding keeps turning itself to Japanese. If I go to page properties and change it back to western latin 1, it fixes itself, but breaks again the next time I open it. It's not saving the encoding info because it can't (I have my headers somewhere else.)

But why is it even defaulting to Japanese?

This is more than inconvenient, because it even improperly displays text in code view.

Any ideas?

Back