DVD Burning on MAC

bagman67

Registered
Another reason im afraid of switching to mac is i dont know what software there is out there for burning dvd's.. its so easy on windows... mac i have no idea... i currently use the following software to burn dvds on windows

DVD Fab 6 to make the copy
DVD Shrink to shrink it so it will fit on a blank dvd
IMG Burn to burn the DVD...

What do you do on MAC for this process?

Well if you don't feel like spending money to make a copy of a CD you can use Disk Utility which is in Application>Utilities to make a disk image and then burn it. Like stated before you can use Disk Utility to burn a disk image.

Once you insert a blank disc into your computer then it will show up in finder. You can then drag items to the disc and then click burn and it will burn whatever you want it to burn.

If you want to spend money on a good burner program, you can buy Toast from Roxio.

All the answers to your questions and more will be found at MacUpdate.

You can see not just specific software with links and summaries but user comments and alternatives.

IMHO the Mac offers many more and superior methods of burning CDs and DVDs than Windows where the whole process is usually excessively clumsy, technical and slow.

At the very least you can set up in OSX a "burn" folder in the sidebar to which you add material, which does not actually move from its real location. You can freely sort out the contents of the burn folder and when you are ready then burn your physical disc.

Toast has many advantages however, with an enormous range of formatting and presentation options.

Disk Utility will also do the job of burning but also creating virtual images such as compressed .dmgs that only require double clicking to mount on your desktop and act like real disks. This is the standard way of supplying installers on the Mac.

My best tip is not to look backwards when migrating, these are indeed greener pastures and Windows will soon be a fading bad memory.

A friend of mine spontaneously converted after years of my commiserating with his problems. In fact the entire family switched even his PC die-hard architect daughter. They are all gushing over the experience and whilst I expected him to see problems in the change, because it is different, he doesn't view it that way at all. Just asks the occasional question when he doesn't know where something is.

Just as you have.

Ahh on rereading your post I understand what you are saying.

It is DVD movies you want to copy and burn.

That's easy.

MacTheRipper [free] to RIP and Handbrake [free] to compress.

You can substitute Toast in for Handbrake above and do the full hog of creating menus etc but I don't burn DVDs anymore, just keep them as high quality H264 movie files. They are far better and more convenient than the cumbersome physical DVDs.

Last edited:
Ahh on rereading your post I understand what you are saying.

It is DVD movies you want to copy and burn.

That's easy.

MacTheRipper [free] to RIP and Handbrake [free] to compress.

You can substitute Toast in for Handbrake above and do the full hog of creating menus etc but I don't burn DVDs anymore, just keep them as high quality H264 movie files. They are far better and more convenient than the cumbersome physical DVDs.

I use WinX HD Video Converter for Mac. It has a special button, say to DVD.But I did not use it. It is free till 30th June,maybe you can try by yourself. Say it here:
http://www.winxdvd.com/hd-video-converter-for-mac/

Back