DVD Burning Tips

MMak

Registered
Can anyone give me any tips on burning a DVD-R from my 15" Titanium Powerbook (1GHz, 1GB ram, 60GB drive, superdrive)? I have gigs of data that I want to store on a DVD instead of separate CD-Rs.

- Is it necessary to disable "sleep mode" when I'm burning the DVD?

- Can I use the computer while it's burning?

- Are there specific brands of media that would 100% work in the superdrive?

Thanks! Any help would be appreciated.

I recommend that you buy Roxio Toast for all your DVD burning needs, but the built in capabilities are OK.

- Is it necessary to disable "sleep mode" when I'm burning the DVD?

// Nope. Even on "Battery" energy settings, the DVD still burns. All that happens is that the displays turns itself off. This is normal.

- Can I use the computer while it's burning?

// Yes. I do. But I use Toast with the feature "Prevent Buffer Underrun" turned on. You can do simple things like surf the web or answer emails. You can't play games or any other activity that requires lots of disk activity, like video editing etc.

- Are there specific brands of media that would 100% work in the superdrive?

// Apple DVD-R 2x works 100% About £13 for a box of 5. Available from the Apple store or any other Mac reseller.But other brands do work. Just make sure that the DVD's are DVD-R format.

Hope it helps.

Hey, cockney, I've got a follow-up question about that:

I recently recorded several DVD-Rs using Toast. All of them work fine in DVD-players (I tested those discs on mine and my friend's players, different brands, both worked). They also play fine on my Mac (the one I used to record).

NONE of them, however, play on any other computer... The original DVDs were of different regions, as well as some PAL, some NTSC. I used DVD Backup 1.3, then DVD2oneX (the latest version, I forget the number), and made some region free, some kept region 1, as the original. None worked in any other computer dvd-drive but mine.

Any ideas on where I might have screwed up? I'm new to this, so any thoughts would be helpful..

Thanks,
DK

I guess I must add that all of those DVDs I burned copies of were mine to begin with, and I only did it for backup purposes while exercising my consumer's rights.

I presume that this statement should put me in compliance with this server's policy on copyrighted materials...

DK

Originally posted by d54321k
Hey, cockney, I've got a follow-up question about that:

I recently recorded several DVD-Rs using Toast. All of them work fine in DVD-players (I tested those discs on mine and my friend's players, different brands, both worked). They also play fine on my Mac (the one I used to record).

NONE of them, however, play on any other computer... The original DVDs were of different regions, as well as some PAL, some NTSC. I used DVD Backup 1.3, then DVD2oneX (the latest version, I forget the number), and made some region free, some kept region 1, as the original. None worked in any other computer dvd-drive but mine.

Any ideas on where I might have screwed up? I'm new to this, so any thoughts would be helpful..

Thanks,
DK

To be really honest I don't know :S When I burn DVD video's, I use DVD Studio Pro. I too sometimes suffer for what you talk about. My movies play in DVD players, my Mac and other Macs, but get this, it don't play on a PC. You have to insert the DVD two to three times in to the machine before Windows Media player will play it.

Sorry I was not more help... :(

The DVD-Rs I've burnt in iDVD have thus far worked fine on my cheapo DVD player in the living room and on a few other DVD players.

I think I bought TDKs. If I remember, I'll check when I get home.

Doug

Hey dktrickey -

After testing my DVD-Rs on seven additional Macs and PCs yesterday, I discovered that all of my DVD-Rs actually work in DVD-drives on both Macs and PCs.

As it turned out, the ONLY type of Mac drive that does not play them (that originally led me to beleive that all other Macs don't play my discs) is Matshita CD-ROM/DVD-RAM. And I think it's because it's a DVD-RAM drive (you know, not the tray kind, but the cartridge holder thingy). For instance, Matshita CD-RW/DVD-ROM palyed it just fine. All Pioneer drives did too.

I've been using FujiFilm DVD-Rs. Is TDK better?

Back