DVD Burning .

30tooo

Registered
I have been trying to burn a Panasonic DVD+R disc . I used MacTheRipper to rip the dvd then used popcorn to compress and burn to a new disc .
I have encountered the following .

Sense Key = Medium Error
Sense Code = 0x11
Unrecovered Read Error

and then

Sense Key = Medium Error
Sense Code = 0x73,0x03
Disc Failed To Be Written .

The optical drive has this info from system profiler ,

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-846:

Capacity: 4.38 GB
Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-846
Revision: FA0G
Serial Number:
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk2
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
OS9 Drivers: No
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

Has anyone any ideas please ?

The drive you are using requires DVD-R discs when writing, and won't be able to write to DVD+R discs. They use a different chemical process to burn the disc, so need a different type of laser to do the burning.

All Macs sold with burners in the last 3 years or more support both DVD-R, and DVD+R, so that statement about DVD-R only, is inaccurate. The UJ-846 certainly supports DVD+R, and is also a dual-layer burner supporting DVD+R DL.
Simplest to try would be another brand of DVD+R, or stick with DVD-R if that works OK.

I have used Verbatim in the past and they were ok . My point of view is that you buy a machine that is supposed to read and write to all that conform to a specification laid down in an I.S.O. format somewhere , and you can only use certain brands ? I get the feeling I've been sold up the river . You wouldn't have this trouble if you had a pc , once you got it to work . LOL .
I wll try other media to see if that causes a problem .
Thanks everyone .

User experience is that Matshita drives are junk. That said, two users
in videohelp.com say the same thing about the 846 -- burn no faster
than 2-X.

DVD-R vs. DVD+R has little to do with brands, and Apple uses some of the same range of manufacturers that PCs use for their burners. You might experience a similar 'this brand doesn't work reliably, but another brand of media works fine' even with a PC - not sure where you heard that PCs don't have trouble with different brands of media. You would see all kinds of reports about that in the various 'burner problems' forums.
Why not continue to use Verbatim? They have been in the top list for quality for a long time, and remain there, AFAIK.
Manufacturing media to a certain standard does NOT mean that media will work in 100% of burners made to operate with that standard. There might be a mote of dust in the wrong spot in the laser path on your burner, or a little wear/misadjustment in the laser mechanics. One disk could be rejected, and the next disk works OK. Manufacturing tolerance may allow a range that not all burners will accept in every case. A small variation in the rotation speed of the burner - and other possible slight malfunctions, taken one at a time are OK, but in bunches might leave you with failed burns. Trying another brand might be within that range of tolerances, and is a better match for you. That's the solution - Use the media that works for you. :)

Back