DVD issues

AdmiralAK

Simply Daemonic
well..one of the reasons that I wasnt using OS X that much was DVD. Now I have DVD for OS X, but on a suprizing turn, for some reason my OS 9 DVD player wont work!!!!!! It doesnt see the drive. I dont know why and I havent had time to fix it. Maybe over the summer I will play with it.

The question is this though.
For OS 9, I have some DVD utilities which allow me to reset the number of times I have left for region changing. I upgraded my DVD's firmware so it can be a region-free drive. In OS 9 though since the DVD player doesnt work, these utilities are useless :p.

entereth OS X dvd player. So, now I have some german & italian educational DVDs that a friend of mine sent me from europe, region 2. I seriously dont want to screw it up and and "lock" my drive in region 2 since I live in region 1, but I need to see these DVDs for some projects that I need to do (and not to mention that I have purchsed DVDs from abroad, and greece too). Sooo the big question is, has anyone ported these utilities to OS X yet or not?

If not is there a plst file that I can delete in order to reset the number of times I have left to switch region? In OS 9 it seems to be hardcoded somehow, and its not a preference issue, I am unsure on OS X.

Admiral

Hmm, I did the same thing. Upgrade my PB G3 DVD drive on OS 9 and when i put a DVD in it didn't work. I put in a normal data CD and it was shown normally. So I retried the DVD and it worked (this time I hadn't started the DVD-Player before inserting the DVD). It should work now on OS X too. I'll try out and post my result.

Greetings,

Stephan

From what I can tell to do all the other neat things like DISC copy DVD-R that you produced and to record DVD video on CD-R/RW media as well as DVD-R you will need either CharisMac Discribe or Roxio Toast, in lieu of the the bundled iDVD that comes with the new iMac G4.

With what Apple provides you it's possible to produce your own videos from FireWire capture and Quicktime movies to DVD-R, but not to DVD-RW media. The SuperDrive in the G4 is identified as a Pioneer A04 which and it supports both CD-R/RW and DVD-R/RW media, but Apple's software can only handle DVD-R media not the DVD-RW type. This is not the case with Discribe5.

They have a demo online good for 5 DVD burns and a third-party software competitive upgrade cost is only $29.95 online. The URL is http:\\www.charismac.com. I believe they were involved with the Apple OEM iDVD software that is bundled with the iMac G4.

Thanks alex :) that is what I was looking for.
I will also try inserting the DVD firts then opening the player. I never thought of doing that before :p always did it the other way arould lol.

data CDs and CDs in general are ok on my mac. (I use it as an AUdio CD player too cause my stereo CD player crapped out :p)

I will test it tonite :)

Back