DVD Localiser

anerki

Registered
I recently bought a new iMac, well a new used iMac :/, I installed OS X and it keeps asking me for the region of the DVD and I have 4 tries or sth like that. Will that affect my ability to play DVDs from the USA and such? If so, I'm on my third try now and I want to keep playing ALL my DVDs ... :(

Grtz,
.frederik-jan

Originally posted by gigi
No cracking allowed - edited

It's not cracking! This guy is in Belgium and the lousy US DMCA law doesn't apply to him. Basically the problem is for anerki that Hollywood wanted you to not be able to buy DVDs from the US before they were released in Belgium - so the region system was put into place. There are no laws against it (at least not yet), so IT IS NOT CRACKING. So, basically when you put in a disk that has a different region than Belgium, you have to update the region change counter which goes to 5 then is locked. But you can download software to reset that counter or even change the entire drive firmware to ignore regions. I will post more information if bobw says it's OK...

i would just like to point out, i did not say "No cracking allowed" , my post was edited. I had given the url of a site that provides software to reset the region of your dvd.
I have posted this url at least 4 times before without being edited.
email me if you want it

I'm not sure about in Belgium, but I know there is a law that the manufacturer must reset the firmware on the DvD drive for you three times. So you really have 14 trial before making it final. I had my Creative Labs drive reset by the factory twice because I couldn't find the cracked firmware right when it came out.

-Juxel

Thank you for the post and for the trouble some of you have gone through. In Belgium there is NO law about DVD regions. The only problem is most DVD-players bought here are also sold in the US, or the manufacturers are just plain lazy to change their system. If I'm correct a PS2 I own doesn't have any problems with it (although I don't watch much DVDs).

If I order a DVD from Amazon (or win one of (I won Planet of the Apes)), I DO want to be able to watch it ...

Grtz & Thx
.anerki

Back