DVD to DiVX

YES!!! finally I can make DivX movies. Downloading as I type. I'll have it tested out by tonight...

Here's my first complaint, you have to use another app(OSEx) to get the DVD to your harddisk. I'm doing that now. Had to start over cause the system-sleep was on.
Make sure you have a good 10 gigs open on the disk you are using before you begin. I'm operating on Braveheart right now, it takes 6.6 Gb just for copying...

I'll get back to you later on the result, by goal is to play the movie on my PowerMac after encoding it on the G4 iMac. If this goes well I'm gonna try sing the G3 iMac too.

It's no good. OSEx don't make a decent VOB file, it gives up midways so I can't even try that app you posted.

too bad! But I read on the website that an update fixing some problems is already out.
It's worth another try, expecially since some people on the versiontracker forum seem to have it working...

It's just a poor front end for ffmpeg or what ever... it actually launches the terminal.

I wouldn't mind any of this if it could actually make good files... the sound is all screwed, or not there at all.

Why does it use DIVX? that is stupid... why not encode in Mpeg4 it's better and better supported in QT.

MPEG4 and AAC should be the only codecs you use from now on... if you want to do it properly the just get OSEx and a MPEG2DEC and a AC3DEC and your off. Would be nice to have an all in one though.

after much hassle and time and conversion and yadda yadda i was left with a huge .avi file with the video, a huge .mov file with the audio, which i cut and pasted together hoping it would line up right and exported to .mp4. this took FOREVER.

audio didn't line up. no problem. extract audio. cut, trim, paste to fit, etc. check. beginning looks good. save as to a new complete movie. Wait. wait. wait.... "can't save movie." fsck!

that's when after 2 days i said fsck this and reclaimed the 15GB of HD space i was eating up with this pain-in-the-@$$ process.

please, for the love of god, code something better, someone, please!

It's not as bad as you all make out. I ripped fight club, a film over 2 hours long and it was ready as a .mov file in under 4 hours. 700mb final file size.

Just use the old OSex to rip as a single vob, I set my sound to 48, bit rate to 700 and sound bit rate to 128. I produced a .avi file in about 3 and a half hours, then half an hour in divx doctor. Flawless divx file.

Well, I've let it encode a Divx from a 1.5h movie DVD. Copied the .vob to my harddrive with 0Sex, no problem. Fine. Encoding took 1.5 days (!) on my TiBook. The final result is _okay_, but the sound is bad. I've used both avi2mov (ffmpeg) and Divx Doctor II to no avail. The sound just doesn't match up with the video. Maybe I did something wrong with the settings, but I guess I did not.

A simple solution would be nice. Is there a really simple one for Macintosh or PC? I'll buy a DVD drive for my PC if there is a nice solution for Windows or Linux...

I can't seem to get OSEx working, it crashes on me after 2 Gb, I've tried 2 different movies and several times...are there settings I should be setting?

Originally posted by lonny
Dazzla, you said it took you 4hrs to rip the movie,
what are your specs?

G4 700, 512mb.

Terminal was the only app running when encoding.

well, i've done it the other way round now. i use 0Sex to rip the movie to harddisk, transfer the vob to my PC and encode there. i don't use it much, so that's okay anyway if it takes a while. but for the movie that took 1.x days on my TiBook 500 (at 480 px width), the 350 MHz PII only takes 9 hours (at 720 px width). I guess I won't look for Mac solutions any more. I rather think I'll buy some cheap 1 GHz PIII off somebody for making backups of my DVD collection.

i hope though that there will be a direct solution like that: 'insert dvd' - software copies movie .vob to chosen location, asks for details of the final moviewww, encodes MPEG-4 via QT6 with AAC sound - 'here's your dvd and rip'.

Back