DVD Writer

SAbsar

Mac Graduate
Hi all.
Im considering buying an external DVD writer for my iMac. Any stuff in particular that i may be looking for? DVD+r or DVD-r.. whatever that is?

There are two standards for writeable DVD-media: DVD-R (Apple is using this in their superdrive) and DVD+R.
There are no arguements which one is the better standard. Some ppl say DVD-Rs are more compatible to other DVD-players, some other find the DVD+R much better. It would be best to get a burner, which can handle both standards. Since you are looking for a new burner, check out those dual-layer burners as well. They can burn up to 8.7GB on special DVD-media using two layers.

just look for a dual-FORMAT.
those are available. I'm looking at one for my wife's ibook, it's an I/O magic, DVD+-RW. don't know yet if it works well with the mac or not. but I'm gonna look into it.

let us know what you choose. and how it works for the mac.
I know there's a Lacie DVD RW drive that is definitely usable with the mac...

good luck

dual-layer burners available here (actually firmware updated dual burners, but they do burn 8.7gb media as well). I can ship to you guys if anyone is interested. ;)

quiksan, I hear that the Lacie drive isnt compatible with macs...
But i think i can wait till mid may!

Pengu said:
Examples??
Here is the link to a famous german it-site. They say, that the Benq DW-822A released a firmware update, which allows the burner to burn in Double-Layer mode. The Benq burner is out for some time and costs 109€

oh comon zammy thats an internal dvd writer! What're you trying to do, mock me :p I got an imac! :)

SAbsar said:
quiksan, I hear that the Lacie drive isnt compatible with macs...
But i think i can wait till mid may!

I just mentioned it because it's actually for sale at the Apple Store. I'd figure if they're selling it there, it should work with their computers...

that's the only reason I mentioned it. who knows.
:rolleyes:

SAbsar said:
oh comon zammy thats an internal dvd writer! What're you trying to do, mock me :p I got an imac! :)
Hehe, sorry SAbsar ;)
Just tried to show Pengu that you can buy a dual-layer burner here.. But ain't it possible to simply buy an external case for the burner like it is common for harddiscs?

SAbsar said:

Grab a firewire case to mount her in then. Probably run you anywhere from $60 to $100 US depending on the type you get.

I agree with the firewire case suggestions. I have an iBook G4 and I'm using an internal Pioneer 106 DVD writer in a nice graphite-colored case that makes it an external.

Randman said:
Make sure you get something compatible with iDVD, if that's your purpose. Pioneers are good for that. Or make sure you have Patchburn and/or Toast. http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ has good info on this.

Except iDVD doesn't work on external DVD burners, just internal. And since he has an iMac, he's kinda SOL :)

Brian

Back