DVI adapter for MacBook Pro

moroandrea

Registered
I bought an external dvi adpater for my macbook pro, and I'm wondering how to turn off the main lcd, avoiding extra overheating of the whole system.

Any idea? In display preferences I don't see anything useful.

Thanks

If you find a way I'd also like to know. I've been looking for an answer to this for quite a while.

You can dim the display all the way down of course.

Use 'clamshell' mode:
Connect an external keyboard and mouse, in addition to the external display
Close the lid - your MBPro will sleep
Press a key on your external keyboard - your MBPro wakes up but the internal display will stay off. Your MBPro then operates as a desktop system.

Thanks for the quickly answer. What is clamshell? Is it a terminal native command or an app to buy?

Clamshell is just a descriptive term for running the laptop with the lid closed.

I wanted to run the laptop with the lid open but the screen turned off, for convenience. (I have an external keyboard so the clamshell mode does work for me but it's not what I wanted.)

Running the MB with the lid closed will make it run hotter, a lot of cooling is done through the keyboard.

No, nothing you need to do, just follow the simple directions.
'clamshell' mode is just a hardware configuration:
Your internal display lid (which resembles a clamshell, hence the name) closed, external mouse, keyboard and display.
In that mode, you are not using any physical part of your MacBook Pro, except the ports.

The OP has a MBPro, which is probably more efficient cooling than a MacBook with the lid closed.
If you monitor that temperature, how much hotter does it get, as reported by the temp sensors, with the lid closed than with it left open?
I have also found that if you max out the RAM on a MacBook, the MacBook typically runs cooler on average.
Clamshell mode also is using ONLY the external display, with all video shunted to that external.

Thanks, it works like a charm. And if it goes up with the heat, is always possible open the lid and get it cooled by the keyboard as the other user suggest (even if I think no much air pass from the keys).

Your MacBook Pro has better cooling (2 fans which exhaust through the rear), and not so much cooling through the keyboard. It is better equiped to to that lid-closed operation.
I think the MacBook is probably OK, too - as long as you don't cover the case with anything, and pay attention to keep the exhaust area clear behind the MacBook.

Yes, nothing on rear and to be sure I take it lifted from the table adding two small cd case on the bottom, so the air can pass also on the back / bottom side.

Back