Easiest (and cheapest) way to get TV output?

ShadowTech

Registered
I have the Power Mac G5 1.8GHz with the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra. As far as I can tell, there isn't any TV out jacks on the back of the card. Does anyone know of an adapter that will let me put output video on a TV via S-video and composite? Or will I have to buy a new card or another piece of hardware?

Suggestions are welcome.

Have tried this on my 12" powerbook. Got DVI-svideo/composite adapter free, but looks really bad on tv, lots distortion. Seem to work only with very new TVs.

ora

Yes, go to an Apple retailer and get something called an Apple Display Adaptor. It has an Apple Display Connector jack at one end, and an S-Video and Composite at the other, about 30$.

Unfortunately, my iMac's ADC is broken, so it outputs to my TV very distorted, but it should work for you.

Got the S-video-thingy, but for some reason the picture on the television is greyscale (wich would be fine if i only wanted to watch old Ingmar Bergman-movies,but i dont). Do anyone know whats wrong?

thanks!

the greyscale thing got fixed when i connected the S-video-thingy through the VCR. But instead all the colors arevery bad (flickering and bleeding like the whole picture was mad of rice in different colors) quite ugly :)

Decado said:
the greyscale thing got fixed when i connected the S-video-thingy through the VCR. But instead all the colors arevery bad (flickering and bleeding like the whole picture was mad of rice in different colors) quite ugly :)

Seeing that you live in gothenburg (as do I), do your computer have a dedicated S-Videoport or did you use a S-Video -> SCART-adaptor? Some (older, normally) TVs don´t handle S-Video over SCART very well and only display grayscale. Your VCR might handle this better than the TV but degrades the signal

It might also have to do with the output from the computer, if it´s set to NTSC instead of PAL you´ll get grayscale (and/or distorted image). These are the two common problems related to grayscale video output AFAIK. Might be something else but if so, you´ll have to ask somebody else =))

Back