editor like dreamweaver but fast?

Racer D

what?
Does anyone know of a html editor like dreamweaver, but more mac optimized and maybe smaller (smaller = faster?). I just need some basic feautures like inserting images, tables, backgrounds, maybe rollover images etc.

And please no comments about how I should edit the code by hand, I know how to, have done it before, but I'm just too lazy. What I do now is insert all of the basic stuff (described above) in dreamweaver and then do other stuff (css, js, php...) in bbedit.

Dreamweaver is a very good application but it is too slow on my iMac. how's with adobe golive? I imagine it's just as slow... I'm looking at mozilla composer right now but it's just weird... needs more toolbars & menu windows IMO, going trough menus everytime is not the way.

so are there any others? I'd like a native application, X11 apps are slow also.

I went on a quest fairly recently to find a decent, low-cost or free editor (shareware apps often don't need the $$$ for full functionality) to try something besides hand-coding (which I will be sticking with), and I found WebDesign. I think it will suit you well. Search on Macupdate.com...

arden said:
I found WebDesign. I think it will suit you well. Search on Macupdate.com...

well it's a nice app, but not exactly what I'm looking for. u basically write the code in text mode here too, you can't insert directly into preview mode. btw, is there a way to have 2 windows, one code, one preview with live updating here?

WYSIWIG editors are very demanding in terms of graphical power. Hence, what you are asking for is a feature (designing your page in Graphics mode opposed to Code mode, to speak in Dreamweaver terms) without the inconvenient of it (the CPU intensive process that allows it). Impossible !

GoLive and DWMX did not represent a big speed difference on my G3/500 at the time they were installed. Hand coding is faster for me.

In brief, I don't think you'll find what you're seeking.

Yeah it's the middle button, the left one is code, right is preview, and middle is both. There's also an F button to update the preview, I think it was F5..

RPS: I was talking bout WebDesign not dreamweaver ;)

toast: Yea I realise it's a hard one to find :/

btw, what's the oldest version of dreamweaver that still works natively with OS X? I can imagine that older ones are less packed with candy and therefore faster

RPS said:
Dude I'd add 512 Megs of RAM for $99, then you _will_ have a fast Dreamweaver..

I doubt it...
anyway I Already have a 256mb ram stick in my iMac (making total of 512mb) so can't really add any more. And 512mb laptop ram (which I need) was much more expensive and hard to get than 256 when I was buying ram, so I just bought this. and if 512mb ain't enough for dw... It enough even for photoshop & illustrator

it's not final, and i've never used it but you may want to try www.nvu.com.

i saw a headline for it the other day.

edit: i know it is for linux, but it being open source, it is probably port-able.

cf25: the most I could prolly do with that is run it in X11, which would be slow, and it's not even available for download yet

I loff my Dreamweaver... why would you want anything else? :)

Heh. Actually, I'm starting to code stuff myself now, but Dreamweaver is a very nice program, and the speed of it seems like a small price to pay.

What sort of Mac do you have? How fast is it?

It makes crappy HTML. People review it well because of its familiarity with DTP programs, helping designers to jump from one media to another.

If it comes down to speed, and your not willing to handcode, then stick with what you've done, use DWMX rather than MX2004.

I could happily use MX, but MX2004 is too slow.

Back